Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wed, Apr 13, 2016 1:02 AM

There was no selection for landline forums and I have a problem with callers' IDs on my landline.

My ATT phone on my ATT network used to show caller IDs, but now it either shows "Incoming Call" or "Unavailable." I don't know why this started happening or how to fix it. 

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

4 years ago

@magillilnb The CID data is attached at the calling end switch & processed at the receiving end switch before sending on to you. Sounds like a failure at the the att receiving end that was fixed.

Another possibility is that your house wiring had a fault that distorted the CID & your CID reader could not read it. Or the  RG got clogged up.

If it happens again, do a pull the plug reboot of the RG & connect a phone/reader direct to the RG to eliminate house wiring.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

16.9K Messages

4 years ago

You have U-verse voice if:

• If your phone is plugged into your Gateway
  • There is a line plugged into the Line1/2 port(s) on your Gateway back to the wall
  • Your phone service charges are included with your U-verse Bill
  • You have Caller ID on your U-verse TVs

You have POTS if

• There is nothing plugged in to the Line1/2 port[s] on your Gateway
  • You receive a separate bill from your U-verse bill for phone service

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

4 years ago

Hi @magillilnb,

What model is your phone hardware? Users have found answers looking at the manual in most cases. It could be that the caller ID function is failing with the phone itself.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I had already done as you suggested and found the manual. I'd done all the troubleshooting suggestions. Then yesterday, out of the blue, the caller ID started working again. I don't know what caused it or what fixed it, but it's working now.

Thanks for your help!

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

4 years ago

Glad to see and we appreciate the feedback.

ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

What does "RG" stand for?

Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

4 years ago

Residential Gateway = Modem

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

16.9K Messages

4 years ago

The RG is something you would have if you had U-verse Voice.  If your landline is POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service), then you don't have one and that note doesn't apply.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I have Uverse but what is Uverse Voice?
mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

4 years ago

@magillilnb  

@magillilnb wrote:
I have Uverse but what is Uverse Voice?

That is ATT's VOIP that uses an RG to connect. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

It happened again. Caller ID is not working. I had ATT repairmen out here last week working on the outside line which had some issues which caused me to lose Internet connectivity recently - ongoing issue for years which everyone says they fixed, and then it happens again. But for now, Internet connectivity is fine. The suggestion to plug my phone directly into the moden won't work, because the modem is in the basement, and my phones are all upstairs. I can try unplugging the modem to see if that works. When I tried a test earlier today to verify that it was still a problem, I called my landline from my cell phone and first it showed Incoming Call as the caller ID and then it showed my name and number. But my brother called later and his name and number did not appear. I told one of the repairman that the connectivity issue seemed to happen after a heavy rain, which made him look into the outside line. I wonder if rain could also cause the issue with caller ID. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I forgot to mention that I do have U-verse Voice.

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

4 years ago

@magillilnb- You have to leave the RG plugged into power so all your services, including voice works.

The reason for plugging the phone into the RG is to eliminate the house wiring as the cause of the problem. It is a test. If it works when plugged direct, theproblem is in the house wiring. If it still does not work when plugged into the RG it is an att problem.

If you need to have the phone upstairs & you can get a wire from the RG, then you could watch the calller ID from upstairs & eliminate the house wiring as the cause.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

4 years ago

Hi @magillilnb,

As mentioned above by the ACE's, sometimes inside lines can cause issues. If this is the case, we will need to go out and address this. Moving the phone is recommended but since it is in the basement, may not be the best option. 

Send us a detailed message by clicking here. Provide your name, 9 digit U-verse account number, and phone number. We can look into this further. 

Keep an eye on the envelope.png at the top right corner of your screen for a response. In the meantime, let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I just yesterday enrolled in U-verse Land Line...but the techs failed to honor my request to keep my old number. How do I change it back?

Rayford