Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
mike53

Mentor

• 

83 Messages

Sat, Jun 1, 2019 10:15 AM

TELEPHONE CUSTOMER SERVICE-ROBO CALLS,

I called AT&T customer service about Robo Calls. First, you get a rep. in an offshore country that dosen't speak English. Then whatever your concern is they have to look in their computer for an answer because they have no knowledge of how to fix anything. You tell them you want to speak with a supervisor in the continental U.S. and they say can't do that?

Second, You ask that caller I.D. calls labeled spam, telemarketer, or unavailable, be blocked and all you get is a tutorial on a long drawn process on how the customer can try to do it their self.

I have downloaded Numerous Norombo apps and logged on to my att and none of it works.

Responses

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

a year ago

i am a previous employer of att, 26 years and i wanted this as a suggestion to att.

mike53

Mentor

• 

83 Messages

a year ago

Exactly what is the new robo call block? I heard Kim Komando say that AT&T will block all robo calls?

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.9K Messages

a year ago

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

They can. Cincinnati Bell offers a free blocking service to their customers. They don’t advertise li. You have to call and request ir.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.9K Messages

a year ago

From Consumers Report 3hours ago, they're getting there. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

a year ago

@spoom2 I just see any "technical details", in any of these articles?

What's to stop someone from requesting a dozen or so VOIP lines, from "somerandomVOIPTelCo", under the names "A smith", "B Smith", and then using a VPN to route through these numbers?

It's super easy to scale this, and there's no known way (given current metadata) to intercept these, except through reporting.

The problem is, as soon as one # gets "nuked", they just rotate in another, and another.  

I just don't see how this ever goes anywhere, without enhanced metadata, that extends beyond the US (to pretty much any carrier you want to get a call from), and polices calls being made from a VPN server, "who knows where"?

I'd really like to see a tech-spec, or similar, that explains how they're going to manage the current issues, in depth.

I fear obfuscation, big time, and any corresponding complacency...  ;-]

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.9K Messages

a year ago

@pgrey I'm just passing along the information I'm finding on the issue.  I'm certainly not saying this will be the solution to the robo and spam calls. 

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

a year ago

@spoom2 Gotcha'.  

I'm just concerned that people might "interpret" this as "a solution", hence the concern over obfuscation.  

Assuming you're "immune" from all of these is VERY dangerous, if you're not (or telling others they are, same deal), the same as any security construct.

Even IF (that's a VERY BIG, HUGE, "IF") this is mostly effective, it's only for post-paid customers, according to the "fine-print" at the bottom of the AT&T linked article.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.9K Messages

a year ago

I know I didn't start this topic, but my intent was  to keep this one as clean as possible to post the latest happenings so other board members wouldn't have to dig through a bunch of stuff to find information as to what's going on and could just be directed to this topic. Not saying input isn't welcome, but I hope any debating of the issues at hand could have it's own topic.  That's my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

Yes, my wife and I are in our 70's and have so many Robo calls it's ridiculous.  The Phishing and other Scam people pray on the elderly Unfortunately in a few days we were out of space on AT&T's Call Blocking application and it doesn't seem they will be increasing the number of calls we can block.  We hit the 100 call "Limit" and found that AT&T has no plan to increase that limit.  We did receive information indicating that we could go into the account and delete those entries we didn't want to block any longer.  Unfortunately, like most people we have no plan to delete any of these scamming calls, that's why we put them in there.  I also pay for the AT&T for my cell phone too.  I suspect I'll have the same problem.  I really enjoyed using the AT&T Call Blocking facility.  I gave up today and will be looking for additional applications that may help us.  Let me know if there is an app that you like for this purpose and I'll try it.  I'll do almost anything to get away from these scamming calls that pray on the elderly.  

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.9K Messages

a year ago

So much for keeping this an informational topic. @stevenjohnson  There's third party devices that claim to block thousands of calls some you can create a white list and only those calls will come through.  There's also AT&T and other phone systems with built in call blocking, so there's options out there.  Also as stated in this topic supposedly there's help coming from the government and the phone companies.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

@stevenjohnson   We're in our mid-70's also and have been looking for solutions to this serious problem.  We recently purchased a new Panasonic landline system which has a call block feature.  Its drawback is that to be effective, you have to first get a robocall and then use the call block button to block future calls from that number.  Of course, they just go to another number and you still get junk calls.  I don't know the limit but I'm pretty sure we're over 100 by now.  It does prevent repeated calls from the same number so that's not a complete solution but it is helpful.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I think I heard enough what is going on with the BAD incoming call. Bad guys can fake a unused numbers. Correct me if I am wrong, How can they have unused numbers? who provide or sell that database to them? Does anyone receive a fake call ID from an active/valid phone number? I have not. 

I will not block those any more. But I am tired with avg 5 bad calls a day. Just like millions of people out there is suffering and waiting for Service Provider to engage the problem.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.9K Messages

a year ago

They spoof valid numbers all the time, your neighbors,  businesses and even your own number.   Do a site search on robo or spoofed calls and see how many topics come up. Have you read any of the linked articles?

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

a year ago

But, @spoom2, it's MUCH more fun to think of it as all some sort of "dark magic" or such ;-]

@Junkphonecall (nice name), if I know your number, I can "call you from it", in about 10 seconds, with a VOIP app, it'd literally take me that long, to replace the outgoing number, and call.

If I had a half a day or so, I could write a script, to take a giant (file) list of those numbers (hundreds, thousands, 100's of thousands, whatever), and robo-call every single one of them, ALL with it appearing as if I'm calling from their number.  

It's really that simple.

It's (almost) equally easy, to get a fairly big list of "unused numbers".  Simply go to a VOIP site (could be the same one you're using above), and "request a number in an area code".  You can choose from a whole list of 'em, and request to "view more", if you don't "like" those ;-]

Get started...

Ask a new question