Nate2_1
Supersonic 25!
#1 Star!

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

Tuesday, January 5th, 2016 4:00 PM

Severe static on phone line 2 with new u-verse dsl modem

The old AT&T u-verse dsl modem/router (silver, 2-Wire xxx type) failed after many years.
So they gave me a new, smaller black dsl modem recently.

When the telephone line is plugged in (for u-verse phone service) on phone line 1, it causes massive static on the 2nd phone line in the house (MagicJack, running off TWC's cable modem service) that used to work fine when the old dsl modem used phone line 1.
Static is so bad, the 2nd phone line thinks it is off hook!
If I disconnect line 1 from the dsl modem, phone line 2 works fine.

Anyone know how to fix this problem for the 2nd line?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Nate2_1 - Here is what it sounds like to me -

The old modem had two tel jacks for line one & two - one jack for each - Each connects the center prongs (standard one line connection)

The new modem has only one jack with line one on the inner two prongs & line two on the outer two prongs. (standard two line connection)

Sounds like the MJ is connected to the second line in your house wiring for standard distribution & ability to appear properly on a two line set.

I believe the simplest solution is to get a two line (not two set) splitter to place both line 1 & 2 prongs on center prongs & you will only connect line 1. Well, that is what it is made to do. In your case it is leaving no connection on the outer prongs for line one, which you connect to your house wiring (which has a second line on it).

If you are into wiring, you could open up the patch cable to disconnect the outer prongs or get a one pair cable (they come with some FAX machines). Standard cable is two pair, but nobody notices, usually.

If you understand this, you might want to check the MJ connection to verify it is on the second line( outer prongs). First line is usually red/green & second line yellow black. But , it may not be standard.

You can see pictures of this if you google rj-45.

You want to besure one phone connected directly to the RG jack has no problem. Then the problem will be in your house wiring, probably due to the change in jack config as described above.

Nate2_1

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

7 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

@Nate2_1 - Here is what it sounds like to me -

The old modem had two tel jacks for line one & two - one jack for each - Each connects the center prongs (standard one line connection)

The new modem has only one jack with line one on the inner two prongs & line two on the outer two prongs. (standard two line connection)

Sounds like the MJ is connected to the second line in your house wiring for standard distribution & ability to appear properly on a two line set.

I believe the simplest solution is to get a two line (not two set) splitter to place both line 1 & 2 prongs on center prongs & you will only connect line 1. Well, that is what it is made to do. In your case it is leaving no connection on the outer prongs for line one, which you connect to your house wiring (which has a second line on it).

If you are into wiring, you could open up the patch cable to disconnect the outer prongs or get a one pair cable (they come with some FAX machines). Standard cable is two pair, but nobody notices, usually.

If you understand this, you might want to check the MJ connection to verify it is on the second line( outer prongs). First line is usually red/green & second line yellow black. But , it may not be standard.

You can see pictures of this if you google rj-45.

You want to besure one phone connected directly to the RG jack has no problem. Then the problem will be in your house wiring, probably due to the change in jack config as described above.

That was it!

I bought a 3-way 2-line splitter (L1, L2, L1+L2), and plugged the line from the AT&T U-verse DSL modem/gateway into L1 (only 2-wires in there), and plugged the 3-way splitter into the wall outlet that was wired for 2 phone lines for the home, and both phones work fine now.

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.