Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Mar 15, 2019 5:03 PM

my phone making random calls??

I have been called by 3 different people in the last 2 weeks about receiving calls from my landline phone.  I don't know them, they don't know me.  Get the same question "Why did you call me?"  there have been a total of 5 calls, two people received a call each.  I have VOIP.  Tech came out and changed box.  He hasn't heard of this problem, but he did hear of one phone continuously calling 911.  I was told on 15 March, that I may need to buy new phones.  I HAVE NEW PHONES.  They aren't even 6 months old.  I had this problem occur on occasion with my old phones.  No one seems to know the source of the problem other than the VOIP system has some issues, but no one will say what these issues are.  Any one with any information or a solution please contact me.  Thanks

Responses

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

5.8K Messages

11 months ago

My money's on someone spoofing your number.  Pretty common problem, they spoof banks, the IRS and just about anyone else you can think of and yes they spoof many numbers.  I'll bet whoever it is either hangs up, or starts making a credit card or some other spiel. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

2K Messages

11 months ago

Welcome to the new world.  These stories are constantly on the evening and morning news programs.  Maybe it didn't register then, but now you have a real life experience with it.  Suspension of disbelief is required.  That someone would impersonate your phone number to another to try and trick them into picking up and answering the call, with sometimes terrible consequences6.  The problem of course is propagated by the callee who is trusting their eyes for what they see on the phone's display and taking it at face value. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

11 months ago

The really surprising thing in this instance is that you had techs involved that didn't guess what was happening. This has been a growing problem since VoIP became widespread, and hacking tools have continued to improve. I have one intrepid spoofer that continues to dial my home number as 'Cardinal Health'; at last count, there were 63 different phone numbers used.

• 

1 Message

1 month ago

I have had this exact problem - 3 different people in the last 2 weeks about receiving calls from my landline phone. I have new AT&T phones but I do not have VOIP. The woman who called this morning said she had received a call from my landline number and that the caller was speaking Chinese. Called AT&T repair who checked the line remotely and detected no problem with the line. I don't think the AT&T repair service is the correct department to deal with this problem.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

5.8K Messages

Did you read the topic?