DCRamsey's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 9th, 2013 5:47 PM

Closed

I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease.

I have a dial tone but I cannot call anyone. When I dial a number, the dial tone does not cease. I had this same problem last night.

I went to AT&T's website to troubleshoot the problem. While there, I automatically restarted the U-verse Gateway device several times but to no avail. I made one more try at troubleshooting the problem today but I'm still having the same problem.  Please help me resolve this issue. 

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hey I'm going to tell you that that manual was buried deep in the search engines.  I tried all kind of combinations until I finally got to the GE site via a link.  You can't go right to the GE site and search......it won't come up.  It must be some sort of archived document and the old link worked.

I found the document you posted about which read to use the * key to switch but it had no other info that was useful.

It took me about an hour to find it!!Smiley Mad

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I have a dial tone on my bell 500 phone, but it does not go away after I daily a number ,I can not call out, but I can receive calls and it rings, can someone help me

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Denn25 - Your telephone produces dial pulses that are not recognized by u-verse voice. YO need a phone that uses touch tone. Go for panasonic wireless system & get a plethora of features.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanx, that was the problem 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have this same problem: dial tone but cannot call out. 

I tried the suggested dial tone setting changes repeatedly to no avail. 

My phone is a V-Tech. I even purchcased a new phone thinking the device was the problem. 

Please help!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have an ancient Bell Atlantic wall phone that also would have a dial tone but could not dial for a number of years. The phone has no tone mode nor menus etc. A newer phone worked on that wall outlet. I found a solution on the web which suggested reversing the polarity of the wiring. Sure enough that worked. 

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

7 years ago

Do you hear the tones when dialing?  Since you've changed phones try resetting your modem if you're using u verse.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

ON THE VTECH CS6649 ... you have to

1 - Menu Select

2 - prss up/down arrows till you get to SETTINGS (6x on down arrow)

3 - Then press MENU SELECT AGAIN to choose SETTINGS

4 - then up/down arrows again till you to DIAL MODE

5 - then press MENU SLECT ANOTHER TIME to select DIAL MODE

6 - then up/down arrows again to choose whether PULSE or DIAL TONE

7 - then just Wait !!! and you'll hear a sound like R2-D2 from Star Wars and you'll know your selection is taken

By the way ... I HAD to select PULSE in order to get the ever-present dial tone to go away AND to be able to actually make & receive calls !  REALLY DO NOT CARE FOR THIS PHONE

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

7 years ago

thanx a lot !!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Has anyone here found a solution?

My home is wired with the reverse polarity, but no matter what I do (I've tried swapping the red and green wires) I have the same problem. Dial tone is present, I can hear myself dial numbers, but the dial tons never goes away. Halp!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.