For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ATTU-verseCare's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

Friday, May 26th, 2017 2:11 PM

Closed

How to stop unwanted or harassing calls?

Home Phone banner.png

How to stop unwanted or harassing calls?

Deal with annoying or harassing calls as soon as they start. Help protect your privacy with these tips:

• Add your name to the National Do Not Call Registry by calling 888.382.1222 or visiting www.donotcall.gov. Make sure you add each phone number which receives harassing calls. This is a free service.
  • Political / Campaign calls are not illegal but can be stopped. Request the caller remove your phone number from the calling list. Request this of each campaign from which you receive an unwanted call. Visit the Federal Trade Commission for more information.
  • Debt Collection calls are not illegal. If you do not know the person they are calling for, tell them so and request the collection calls stop. If you’ve requested the calls stop and they continue to call, contact the Federal Trade Commission to file a complaint or call 877.382.4357.
  • Collect Call Block may be available in your area. Please contact us by phone to activate this feature.

Things to Know

For information about features that may be available in your area such as Call Block, Call Trace and Anonymous Call Rejection, visit us online or chat with us 24/7.

-ATTU-verseCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

7 years ago

Learn how you can help stop unwanted and harassing calls by using the steps above.

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

i am getting harassing calls from a business we did ask for a quote from them but they continue to call even after telling them no and and to put us on their do not call list I got 15 calls in the last two days I am ill and these calls are distressing me in fact I got one just two minutes after my sister called to tell me about our dads passing I need this to stop I cant call block them because they are in a different area code what can I do 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

What service are you using and what makes you think a different area code can't be blocked?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Please tell me there is a way to block telemarketers! They drive me nuts! Now they are even using local numbers with my area code and 3 digit extension so it looks like a local caller! I have just about quit answering my phone at all and it really ticks me off that I have to do that especially when it's a doctor or the vet calling me with important information! This is NOT FAIR! 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

There is nothing you can do about spoofing, these calls are illegal, but the overseas based companies most of these calls come from don't care about US laws.  All you can do is block the number for a period of time, if it's not a legitimate number, then later release it incase the number does get assigned.  You can see if the number is legitimate by dialing it, if you get a recording saying it's out of service or a non working, disconnected number it's not legit, of course if someone answers simply explain to them you're getting spoof calls from this number and thought they should know.  The FCC is working with the Telco's to resolve some of this, but they've been working with them for some time so don't hold your breath.   Here's an article  from the FCC on the issue. 

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have been receiving about 20 threatening calls with the criminal spoofing my local area code and exchange.  Have been threatened with arrest and financial ruin.

I am elderly and this is elder abuse in which AT&T is complicit.

I think that it would be a good idea to directly transfer such calls to the personal numbers of the person(s) at AT&T and FTC who are sitting on their (Edited per community guidelines) and letting this abuse continue for years.  This is would "cut out the middleman" in reportinf the abuse.

Such personal numbers are available if one searches for them, and should be posted all over the net so the many, many elderly people can get relief.  Shame that AT&T doesn't give a crap about elderly people.

I cannot even use my phone that I pay AT&T $80.00 a month for!!

(edited)

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

3 years ago

Duplicate post removed.  Number being spoofed is common among all carriers not just AT&T.   There is some relief coming through the Traced Act. 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

3 years ago

Closing this to posting, it's an old topic and the original help information has been lost. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.