For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
A

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, January 16th, 2022 4:18 AM

Home phone no longer working after installing mesh network

We installed a Netgear Mesh Wifi System today, with ATT Fiber internet and voice in the house. In other parts of these forums, I found instructions on how to put the ATT router on IP Passthrough, etc: https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-fiber-equipment/set-up-netgear-router-with-att-fiber/5e5be2aee0718126f46b688d

Well, I got the mesh network seemingly working just fine, but now the house phones aren't working. The ATT router has a green light for phone, I log into said router and it says everything is fine with the voice line, but the house phones have no dial tone and they say 'check phone line'. I didn't change anything whatsoever about the phones, just the internet, so why are the phones seemingly completely disconnected now? Help. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

2 years ago

Plug one corded phone directly into the modem.  Does it work?  You say house phones (plural) do you have a cordless system or has the in house wiring been changed so the jacks are feed from the modem.  Wi-Fi has nothing to do with the phone port on the modem. Have you tried rebooting the AT&T modem/gateway?

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

It's a cordless system, and I'm pretty sure they spliced the house phone jacks so they go through the modem. The base unit is plugged into a jack. I powercycled both the modem and the other box on the wall. 

I did move the phone and plug it into the router, and it's working just fine. So God only knows what they did when they installed it- literally, there's a green wire going out the back of the router into the basement that's then split apart and it looks like some of the individual wires are spliced into another phone cord. I'm so confused. But it currently works and that's what matters. Thanks!

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

2 years ago

Sounds like it was tied into the homes existing wiring.  It's pretty simple to do, but you need to understand how to wire jacks in a home.  The modem is just feeding the wiring to the jacks, just as an incoming phone line would.  Glad it's working now. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.