C

• 

3 Messages

Friday, May 29th, 2020 8:14 PM

Help, DSL works but no Dial Tone on home line. No test jack in NID

Would like to have my home line working for Primary number. I can dial from my home line from cell phone and hear it ringing but not in house, Where is it rinigng to?? Is this strictly a Tech issue?

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

4 years ago

Sounds like you have one side open on your cable pair. If there's no way to test than all you can do is call repair service and report it.

• 

3 Messages

Thanks, spoom2.

Still getting the hang of this.I sent a picture of the NID wiring. (with no test jack in it installed by an ATT tech last time} and wondered where is it ringing when I dial the number on my cell phone?? I will call service again!! Any thoughts??

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

The audible you hear when dialing a number has nothing to do with whether or not there's actual ringing current going out to the phone itself. You have one side open, if you'll check your Internet speed it is probably slower than it should be. DSL will work on just one wire, it doesn't need the complete pair, it just will be subpar.

• 

3 Messages

I"m confused.. (1) How can I check the speed and (2) How will that allow me to hook up a handset / answering machine / faxmachine or combination of any and be able to dial out from my home number??

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

It's just a test if you want to prove one side is open since you don't have a proper NID. Just report your trouble and tell them you don't have an NID to test from. If you don't know how to do a speed test on your Internet service forget it. Sometimes I give information and think I'm helping forgetting not everyone understands how to do this stuff.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.