Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wed, Apr 22, 2015 3:20 AM

Elevator Emergency Phone

Hi, I am a HOA board member for a 4-story condo building in California.  Right now we are paying $110 per month for service for the emergency phone in the elevator.  I think we have the wrong plan because this seems very high.  We just need the very basic local service for the rare event should the elevator get stuck with someone in it.  So the phone only needs to call one number, the local service company.  I believe we also need a feature for the phone to automatically dial when the handset is lifted.  Does anyone know what the correct AT&T plan is?  Thanks!

Responses

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

5 years ago

@PBcondo The reason your charge is $110 is because your being charged for a business line.  That is the right charge for the line you have.  No way around it.

With that said, do you currently have a multi-line business phone system for the staff/property?  If so, you should involve your vendor that takes care of it for you.  Your phone system should be able to provide "analog" extensions from it.  You can get them to install an "analog" extension for the elevator and disconnect the $110 per month line.  Typically the elevator phone has an "auto dialer" that detects off hook and automatically dials the programmed number so you will need to have that device reprogrammed to dial a "9" before the number.  Once this is done it will dial out using one of the phone lines you have on the multi-line phones.  Some systems also have the ability to dial a number upon an off hook condition so you might be able to remove the auto-dialer and disconnect the line from AT&T.  Again your vendor would be better able to direct you in the best course of action to take.

If you use the "analog" extension make sure that your phone system is backed up by some sort of power failure system a.k.a. UPS.  Typically that's when the elevator phone is needed most since when the power is out the elevators stop no matter where they are located within the floors.

If you let me konw the type phone system you have I can better assist.  If you don't have a phone system then I'm sorry to say your stuck with the $110 charge. 

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

5 years ago

PBcondo - This is the second OP I have seen recently requesting amatuer advice when professional advice is required.

The emergency tel service in the elevator is serious business. If there is an emergency & you do not have the right service you have a serious problem. The building code enforcement in your juristiction should be able to help you.

If you Google Elevator emergency phone service you will see some food for thought. For equipment leave off the word service.

Perhaps your juristiction requires that the phone can reach someone automatically and/or dial any alternative. If you need an automatic connection to an answering location in the building there is no need for a tel company. It is just two telephones connected by a PLAR (private line automatic ring) unit.

A cell phone solution seems popular.

Please consider your building code requirements to select a method that applies appropriate in elevator function, service reliablity, answering reliability, calling flexibility & who knows what else? (answer - a professional)

It is good that you question the service you have, but it is just the tip of the iceberg.

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

5 years ago

Professional advise given in the post above yours.  36 years, and still going, to be exact.  We put analog extensions off our phone systems for elevators and other life safety devices all the time.  Hotels, office buildings, apartment/condo's, etc.  The fire marshal typically does the inspections.  They lift the handset in the elevator and if they get the desired results it passes. 

The most important thing is to make sure the device (phone system) providing dial tone is on a UPS.  Their phone vendor can help with the particulars.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Purchase a cellular elevator landline. The are available at

[Third party link removed per Guidelines]

and should save you over 800.00 per year.   

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

6.2K Messages

3 years ago

Well this is a pretty old thread, but since it was brought up, you better check your local codes, many still require a dedicated POTS line. As far as I know the NEC still does, though I haven't read it in some time. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

You do not need a pots line. A17.1 elevator code is the code for all of the U.S. requires a dedicated phone line and a cellular elevator phone line meets this requirement. 

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

6.2K Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the info, as I said haven't read it in some time.  Still Local codes can go beyond and many do, what's required, that's why I said to check your local codes. One post stated using a phone behind a phone system, as far as I know that is still not allowed.  Last phone I installed in an elevator was some years back. Unless things have changed the local codes could go beyond the NEC, but not less than what's stated in the NEC.   I'd be interested to know if that's changed. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…