Krakuss's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Mar 29, 2019 4:59 PM

EL52303 incoming call changes phone time

Hi Folks. We bought an EL52303 November 2018 (in the Eastern Time Zone). We subscribed to Bell Canada's CID service and it worked flawlessly.

Last month, we moved closer to the Manitoba border (in the Central Time Zone). We subscribed to Bell Canada's CID service. Now, when we receive an incoming call, the time on our EL52303 advances one hour. We follow the steps in the manual to change it back and at the end of that process the phone tone bleeps to indicate the time was successfully changed. Each time we receive a call, it's rinse and repeat... ad nauseam.

Indeed the manual indicates the phone time/date syncs with the carrier's CID service. So I've called Bell Support to ask about this issue and their advice is, "Please report the problem to the phone manufacturer. Our CID service only transmits caller name/number only."

I've also tried talking to Bell Support on several occasions thinking, like my children used to, that I'd get a different answer if I asked enough times. But Bell insists the source of the problem isn't on their end... which is the same position AT&T Support has taken. It's as fascinating as it is frustrating.

I wonder if this phone is simply too smart...

edit: I'm going to try turning off our Bell CID service and see what happens

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.5K Messages

Il y a 4 y

The caller ID time stamp coming from your provider must be wrong as that's what controls the time on your phone. See page 17 of the manual found here

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 4 y

Thank you for affirming that I can read. As I stated above...

< Indeed the manual indicates the phone time/date syncs with the carrier's CID service. So I've called Bell Support to ask about this issue and their advice is, "Please report the problem to the phone manufacturer. Our CID service only transmits caller name/number only." >

• AT&T insists this phone syncs to the date/time data from the carrier CID.
  • Bell insists their CID service does not transmit time/date to the phone (therefore it's their position that phone is ascribing its own time/date to the incoming call).

So there is no solution for this problem.... and it is a problem.

The phone is two months past warranty, so I'll chalk this up as a failed experiment and go back to the brand I'm familiar with.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

16.5K Messages

Il y a 4 y

The fact that you manually set the time and it changes back after you receive a call proves the phone company is sending a time stamp.  Any phone you put on this will do the same if they get their time from the time stamp.  Change it two, three or however many hours you want and it will revert back.  Why any phone company would tell you they don't send a time stamp is beyond me, as they all do.  There's three possible ways around this, one you can get a phone than you can turn the time stamp feature off, Panasonic use to have models that did.  You can see if the phone company will home your service out of a server in your time zone.  Some modems have a time zone offset built in, you'd have to access your modems menu to see if it does. 

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.