Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
drgerry's profile
drgerry
#1 Star!
Supersonic 25!
10th stratosphere!

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

Tue, Oct 13, 2015 1:32 AM

DSL OK, have dial-tone, can make outgoing calls - BUT CANNOT RECEIVED INCOMING CALLS!!!!

DSL OK, have dial-tone, can make outgoing calls - BUT CANNOT RECEIVED INCOMING CALLS!!!!

AT&T says it's my equipment, but I don't have anything on the line but one push button phone and it still won't get incoming calls. All I get is 1 "ting" of a ring. Not even a full ring.

I have DSL ok, and dial-tone, and can make outgoing calls. But incoming calls won't go through. From my cell phone I don't even get a ring. From another landline, nothing but static and then it cuts off.

Any suggestions where to start looking?

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

6 y ago

Take a known working phone and carry it out to the NID at the back of your home.  Open the customer side and plug the phone in the test jack.  Use your cell phone to call your number.  If your known, working phone rings, then the problem is in your home and is your responsibility (we'll get back to that).  If your known, working phone doesn't ring like this, then the problem is in AT&T's system and they have to fix it at no charge to you.

Be sure to use a phone that you know rings, because if they come out and test the line at your NID and find it's working, then the problem is inside your home and they can charge you for the trip even if they don't fix the problem (so... I'd let them fix it at that point, you're paying them anyway).

Until you conduct this test, everything is guess work.  Let us know how this test turns out.

drgerry

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

6 y ago

OK, so I disconnected all equipment and connected an old slimline push button phone to test. I get 1 "ting" of a ring then it quits. Not even a full ring. From a cell phone it says "dialing . . . . " for about 6 sec then quits, I hear nothing. From another landline I get one ring then static, then it hangs up.

What I don't understand is why are outgoing calls, dial tone and my DSL all fine? There are only 2 wires red/green. If a wire is broke, seems that nothing would be working ????

I tested it at the DEMARC (or NID) and it's OK, so I know it's in our wiring somewhere. Does the fact that ONLY incoming calls are affected tell you anything about where the problem may be?

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

6 y ago

Hmm... Well, the first thing I might do is disconnect the DSL modem and filter and see if that changes anything.

If not, then I'd probably do continuity tests on the center pair with nothing connected in the home.  I'm betting there is somewhere in your house where the center pair shorts across when the ringing voltage is applied.  I'm hoping it will show up as something less than inifinte on an ohmmeter test, but it might not show on the low voltage usually used by ohmmeters.

It may be as simple as a jack where one of the wires has jumped its track and is in the adjacent track.

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

6 y ago

@drgerry - So many posts have so many possibilities but yours is as close to a sure thing as it gets. Your problem may be finding it. Your problem is in the house wiring.

But, you say, it almost works. How could it be a broken wire if it mostly works. Because it is not a broken wire. It is a short. An intermittent short.

The red/green wires have exposed copper that is not enough of a connection to cause an off-hook. when the phone rings(the blip you hear)  the higher voltage jumps the gap & causes an off -hook, effectively answering the phone.

This could be anywhere in your wiring. Look at your jacks to see if a wire was crushed when closing it up. Your house wiring could still be connected to outside cable. Make sure it is not.

Or, maybe it is time for a feature rich Panasonic wireless system. I particularly like the voice announcement of the caller ID. I built directory records for friends and family to be announced by first name or nickname.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

6 y ago

@aviewer wrote:

Or, maybe it is time for a feature rich Panasonic wireless system....

He still has to plug it in somewhere.  Until the wiring is fixed, it doesn't matter what the phone is.

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

6 y ago

I got carried away thinking that it was u-voice working from the RG. With everything physical the wiring problem will have to be tracked down, by process of elimination.

Unplug anything you can. If no phones actually ring maybe you can hear the spark if you are near it,

drgerry

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

6 y ago

OK, Update:

I disconnected all the jacks and used only the one which my DSL filter/splitter went to. That's the one I knew worked because that's the one our base cordless was connected to and we make outgoing calls.

Still, not receiving incoming calls. I went in the attic, crawl space and checked/tested/re-did every connection I could find. I thought I found a bad line in the attic, so I pulled a new line to a splitter up there. But, NOOOO, still didn't work.

So, I just pulled a line straight from the DEMARC to the main jack we use (where the cordless and switch are connected). Now it works but no other jacks in the house work. That's OK for right now. I can try to pull new lines to all those later. I bought 250' of wire and all new RJ11's, too. Another project, another day.

I really should have each RJ11 connected directly to the DEMARC anyway, and not "spider-webed" throughout the house.

Thank you for your help

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.