For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
H

• 

1 Message

Thursday, April 2nd, 2020 9:40 PM

change phone plan without changing phone number

I need to upgrade my phone plan from 200 minutes to unlimited North American. It is showing a new number will be assigned. Does it actually assign a new number? Why and how do I prevent it from changing?

This is urgent as our school has told us we have to call students and I have about 30 minutes left and 10 parents left to talk to (on average I've had to spend 7 minutes explaining what the principal has set forth).

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

4 years ago

I don't know why you'd need a new phone number to change plans, ask the rep where you're placing the order.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

Where are you seeing this? Are you logged into your account and managing your plan there? Changing a plan from there should not assign a new number. It kind of sounds like you are ordering new service or a second line.

Teacher

• 

32 Messages

3 years ago

I saw the same thing in my account.  I was online, in my account, and wanted to do a plan change from my current service, "Phone Unlimited" to "Phone 200". (I was not ordering new service or a second line.)

When I got to the cart in the checkout, in tiny print, it said "A new number will be assigned."  Ugh!!! - that's exactly what I don't want!  Fortunately, I take screenshots of everything (whenever I make online purchases or account changes), so I have a screenshot proving this.  As you can see in the image, it was a Plan Change.

I backed out of that and deleted the plan change from my cart.  I took another approach and called AT&T (800-288-2020) and asked if I could change my plan without changing my telephone number.  The Rep said yes and I made him promise on his firstborn child that I would not lose my number.  It is the only number my 88-year-old mother knows.  He made the plan change and I was able to keep my number.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.