mazeltov's profile

Voyager

• 

19 Messages

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2016 12:11 AM

Uverse voice incompatible with IP Passthrough on u-verse gateways?

Over at DSL reports, lore has it that u-verse voice is incompatible with IP Passthrough (the nearest thing to bridged mode on AT&T's gateways). See, e.g., this FAQ, which states that "IF you use AT&T uVerse Voice (VoIP) service it is not recommended to put your NVG589/599 Remote Gateway into IP Passthrough mode. IP Passthrough mode has been shown to conflict with uVerse Voice service in which incoming calls may not connect properly resulting in callers hearing an error message."

Is this true? (Searching this forum, I found one thread about incompatibility between DMZ+ on a different modem and voice.  My incomplete understanding is that IP Passthrough is closely related, if not identical, to DMZ.)  I'd like to use third party router with NVG599 (which requires IP Passthrough) but don't want to lose voice service.

If it is true, does anyone understand why?   Any workarounds?  One would think the gateway could intercept VOIP traffic.

Thanks for your help.

Not long after posting, came across a thread here that suggests that at least some users had experienced problems with voice calls not being received after setting up third party router using IP Passthrough.  But it's not clear to me what the pattern is or if there is any consensus on existence or causes of issue or possible solutions.  See: How to put the Motorola NVG589 in 'bridge mode' (or as close as you can).

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

The calls were (ironically) from ATT iPhones in urban(ish) areas so I'm 99% sure they were on LTE (like my iPhone is now.) Another data point: my husband just called from work and THAT call got through. We're trying to find out what kind of phone service he has at work.

I can try something to debug if it helps. Thank you!

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@JefferMC The incoming call that got through was indeed POTS.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

The eventual fix for my issue above was to replace the NVG589 with a Pace5268.  We did lots of troubleshooting with the NVG589 and never could figure it out.

As to your setup, I'm not sure you should have to use ip passthrough.  You should be able to just use the two routers on the same network.  Connect your TP-Link to the RG via a lan port, instead of the wan.  Set the router/lan ip on the TP-link to an available address on the RG network (like 192.168.1.1.  After changing that you'll use the new address to log in to the TP-link admin interface.)   Disable dhcp on the TP-Link.  Ideally, modify the dhcp range on the RG so it doesn't overlap the ip of the TP-link...  I think it uses all the available address space by default if I remember right.  Your wired (and wireless) clients off the TP-link should pull dhcp addresses from the RG and get it's address as their default gateway.  Something like the Lan-to-Lan setup described on this page: http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Routers

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

8 years ago

What @pakenagy is essentially describing is the "router as an access point" setup.  The router's remaining LAN ports essentially become switch ports and wireless clients are treated as part of the same network. 

You give up pretty much any routing features of the third party router, i.e. UPnP, time of day restrictions, ability to set a custom DNS, possibly improved NAT session table size, etc., but it will allow you to provide a better wireless experience.  

See post 13 in this thread for a slightly more detailed setup from a U-verse point of view.

And the 5268ac doesn't appear to have this same issue with its DMZplus mode (equivalent to the IP passthrough of the NVG 5x9).

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@JefferMC and @pakenagy

Support on this thread (the whole forum really) is amazing! Thank you!

I have reluctantly accepted that until I get my NVG589 replaced with the 5268ac (or until ATT fixes the NVG firmware to allow IP Passthrough without any conflicts with Uverse voice), I am going to have to use my Archer C9 as an access point only. Sigh. The NVG is back up and running without IP Passthrough. We have the Archer set up as an access point sitting right next to the NVG (with wireless disabled) as per the instructions in this thread. It hasn't been as easy as it should have been. The Archer REALLY want to be a router. As a piece of additional information, we also have a TP-Link TL-WA901ND set up as an auxilary access point in a more remote part of the house. The network is up and running and seems to be working okay.

However, during this process, we have hit two more snags.

1) We cannot access the UI of the TP-Link devices via their respective static IPs. We've tried different browsers, laptops, via wifi and via ethernet with laptop wif turned off. I'm not clear whether the NVG isn't doing its routing job well or there's something on the TP-Link devices that renders them undiscoverable from other devices on the same subnet once DHCP is turned off and a static IP assigned. I carefully noted the static IP addresses and I assigned them outside of the DHCP range of the NVG. (I know better than to count on my memory.)

2) In addition, our voice service has stopped working altogether. The web interface on the NVG shows voice as up and registered. I have rebooted the service. I turned off both TP link devices and rebooted the NVG itself to see if voice service would come back if the network consisted only of  the NVG and the various LAN clients connected to it. No go.

I've since turned both TP-link devices back on for their wireless coverage. The network is behaving fine...except for no uverse voice and our inability to talk to the access points on our home network.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

Our uverse voice seems to be back up this morning. Fingers crossed it stays that way. 

Since IP Passthrough on the NVG 589 conflicts with Uverse voice at the moment, we need to turn our Archer C9 into an access point. Instructions as I understand them are:

1. Connect devices LAN to LAN.

2. Connect computer to Archer via ethernet cable.

3. Turn off DCHP on Archer.

4. Assign it static IP outside the DCHP range of the NVG.

5. Reboot.

Assuming I have these instructions right, I have two questions.

1. Would it work to have have the NVG allocate the IP address of the Archer rather than assigning it statically on the Archer side?

2. Is it safe to turn off the firewall on the Archer since it is merely functioning as an access point inside the NVG's firewall?

I'm hoping to be able to log into the UI of the Archer after it has been reconfigured. It seems that's an issue for TPLink devices. I just want to make sure I'm not compromising network traffic, connectivity or safety.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

We have wrapped up successfully.

1) We believe voice service was compromised when we attached our WDMyCloud NAS behind the Archer stripped of its routing capabilities. It needs direct access to the internet which an access point doesn't have.

2) TP-Link devices appear to be excellent when used as intended. The instructions in this thread for setting up an access point are excellent!  Getting them up and running was easy. However, retaining login access proved to be a quirky process, unique to each device (even though they had the same manufacturer.)

Thanks again for all the expert help! Truly extraordinary!

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

7 years ago

@JefferMC

Eight months later, we are scheduled to have fiber installed for internet and voice service (no TV service for the moment.) We would very much like to use our Archer C9 as a real router behind the ATT RG. Do you know if the issue with incoming LTE calls with the NVG5x9 set in IP Passthrough mode has been resolved yet?

Based on the forum chatter, it seems like the Pace 5268AC RG in DMZ mode doesn't play as well with 3rd party routers as the NVG599 in IP Passthrough mode. But we do want to have viable voice service too. Is it possible to install a 3rd party router (not as an access point) behind one of these two devices  AND have functional voice service?

Thanks in advance!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

7 years ago

@caplew, unfortunately the only answer I have to give you is "I don't know."  As you say, it has been 8 months, and I would hope that (a) an firmware update for the gateway has been released and (b) it includes a fix for this issue.  I have not seen a recent complaint about this particular problem, which bodes well, but that's not conclusive.

I'll cross my fingers for you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I've got the fiber service to a Pace 5268, with voice.  I use the dmz mode to my own device and all works well!  Let me know if you need any detail.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.