Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Dec 19, 2016 5:14 PM

Noise on phone line

Sombody help with noise on phone line?

Responses

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.9K Messages

4 years ago

You don't say what type service, but if it's POTS check it at the NID to see if it's a phone company problem or an inside wiring problem.  If you have a maintence contract give it to your phone company. Same if when you test from the NID if it's still bad give it to the phone company. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Noise on phone line

You don't say what type service, but if it's POTS check it at the NID to
see if it's a phone company problem or an inside wiring problem. If you
have a maintence contract give it to your phone company. Same if when
you test from the NID if it's still bad give it to the phone company.

Sorry for my ignorance. What is POTS and NID?
spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.9K Messages

4 years ago

POTS= Plain Old Telephone Service.  Copper line coming into your home, not uverse.  NID= Network Interface Device, usually on  the outside of your home also called a DEMARC=Demarcation point.  Unless your service is very old the NID has a connection where you can disconnect your inside wire by unplugging, there are several types, a goolge search will help you identify them.  You'd unplug from there, plug your phone directly into the connector, if still bad it's a phone company problem.  As I stated earlier if you have a maintenance plan give it to the phone company.

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.7K Messages

4 years ago

If the problem is inside wiring or your equipment, this would be a billable service call.

Thus the recommendation to DIY trouble shooting or if paying the extra monthly charge for home wire protection just call to schedule a tech visit.

Older phones can have issues, purchase a new phone with cords to elimate your equipment from the possibility.

This is less expensive than paying a tech service call ($99) to be told to go buy new phone.

Just thoughts to share...

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the reply:

I will do some simple troubleshooting.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.9K Messages

4 years ago

But, once again, if you're paying for an inside wiring maintenance plan there is no charge, so give it to the phone company if you can't figure it out. Also as stated by my thoughts if you only have one phone, you might want to try another phone, but if you have several phones and they all have static, than it's not likely all phones have a problem. 

Get started...

Ask a new question