Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sat, Oct 12, 2019 7:55 PM

No Landline Service during PG +E outage

During the planned PG+E outage of 10/9/19 my ATT landline did not work.  It's connected to an old fashioned phone that does not have a battery so it does not need power.  I thought the hardwired  landline was supposed to work during power outtages?? That's the only reason I have it - for emergencies.  Why wasn't it working??

Responses

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

8 months ago

The serving office was probably also without power and the batteries only last so long, so if the back-up generator didn't work or quit so would your phone. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

8 months ago

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 months ago

Thanks for that explanation.  So I'm assuming the analog phone line we are currently maintaining is useless in emergencies? This was the only reason we had it.

The power was out for less than 24 hours in my area of Oakland.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

8 months ago

Not exactly, the power for the phone to work is supplied by the phone company, so as long as they can maintain power through their back-ups and there's no facilities damaged your landline with a corded phone will continue to work. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 months ago

Thanks again.

It's very hard to contact ATT, but it looks like they are not maintaining their battery back-up system for analog lines.  Very disappointing and irresponsible on their part.

Sorry to persist with this query, but we were relying on this landline as a lifeline during earthquakes and wildfires, but without reliability, it's useless.

Thanks again.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

8 months ago

There is no utility that guarantees 100% up time, especially during natural disasters.  So you're looking for something that doesn't exist.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 months ago

Point taken. But this outage was a planned event and ATT should, in theory, have been prepared. Does not bode well for a real emergency.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

8 months ago

Best laid plans, as they say. Hard to predict thieves and equipment breakdown, not like they only had one location to get prepared.  At any rate I pretty much think we've beat this to death.   

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

38K Messages

8 months ago

Do you really have a POTS line? If so, yes it should have worked during the power outage. Would love to know why it didn’t. It’s no secret that the POTS business has been declining for years and no longer profitable but would hate to think ATT is no longer maintaining the infrastructure. Seeing as there are no other complaints, your issue may have been line specific. Unfortunately, finding another POTS user in your location to see if others had the same problem may not be easy since so many have dropped their landline.

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 months ago

No answer for your POTS issue, but to get the kind of emergency communications coverage you want, a satellite phone would be your best option. They can be charged from your car or other mobile power source during extended power outages.

"Don't make me summon the flying monkeys...."

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

8 months ago

@sandblaster A POTS won't work if the batteries deplete in the office or remote hut and there's no backup generator.  Still have to have battery on the loop for it to work.  The link I supplied from another PG&E customer stated the generator for the building suppling their service was stolen.  Also the phone companies don't have enough generators for every location that would need them, although I have no idea if in this case where it was a planned extended outage if they went out and rented or rounded up a bunch of them or not.  I know where I live the phone company has one portable  generator and many remote locations that rely on power.  Most Central Offices have a generator in them.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 months ago

Thanks.  Yes, we do indeed have an old school POTS line.  It is not VOIP.

I used Next Door.com to survey my neighbors in the area and many others using ATT did not have landline service either.

I called ATT and their customer service was absolutely useless! All they wanted to do was send out a tech to check our line - which is functioning perfectly.

My guess is ATT is abandoning landline maintenance (including back-ups) as use steadily declines.

Thanks again for your help.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 months ago

I am in El Dorado County and all of our AT&T landlines were down.   They were putting generators at the big green boxes to power the phone lines back up the day the power came back on.  I lost my service about 12 hours into the planned shut down.  The phone lines have never gone down with the power in the 48 year I have lived in CA.  Maybe a change to the type of relay switches or something that now requires power that they didn't use before?  I don't know, but whatever the problem AT&T needs to go back to the old school way which appears to me more reliable than all the new computer crap!  Greed, greed, greed over people's health, safety and environment that is all that matters any more I guess.  You aren't rich if all the plants, animals and people are gone.   Good luck in this new lovely world!

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

7.1K Messages

7 months ago

Did you read the whole topic? I was in telecommunications over 40 years as far as POTS goes not much has changed. Have always needed power or backup batteries to keep the service working. 12 hours is a pretty good backup supply.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 months ago

I really have a POTS (analog) line and it really did NOT work during the PG&E outage.  The only reason we maintain a POTS line, in addition to our cell phones, is to have an emergency backup for times like this. If AT&T cannot keep POTS going during a (regular) power outage, there is no point in paying good money for an analog backup that fails to work!!