Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thu, Sep 24, 2020 4:39 AM

Home Landline Phone Will Not Ring On Incoming Call

I have a landline phone (not connected to a modem or uverse or anything else). This is just after Hurricane Sally passed through the Pensacola area. I thought everything was fine, I have a dial tone and can make calls. I was kind of curious why my phone hasn't been ringing from all the spam calls I usually get in a day. My daughter texted me on my cell phone (non ATT) to say she had been calling all afternoon but it would just ring and no answer. I said that's because I haven't heard a ring and the answering machine never picked up. So, I called the landline from my cell phone. It never rang but when I picked up the phone, I had a connection between the two ends.

I am using a base station with answering machine and 5 wireless phones. It will not ring to indicate an incoming call even though if I pick up the phone (only because I KNOW someone is calling to test) I have a connection between the two phones. I unplugged from the base unit and plugged into an old push button ATT phone I keep for use during power outages and it doesn't ring either. It can call out and answer calls - if you know someone is calling for a test, but it does not ring on incoming calls either.

I called ATT service desk and she ran a test on my line and said it was OK and scheduled a technician to come out in a couple of weeks....

Any idea what is going on here and where I might be able to test better to ensure it isn't my house wiring or something I am responsible for?? I only have a single connection in the house for plugging in a phone.

My ATT Uverse Internet woks fine. That's all the ATT service I have - a landline phone and Internet. No TV or IP phone..

Responses

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

8.7K Messages

a month ago

You can test from the NID (box on the side of your house) with your corded phone and if still bad the trouble isn't yours.  There's probably a carrier box that supplies the ringing.  I'm assuming the line is clear when talking on it, no static or hum on the line. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

a month ago

@spoom2  No static or hum. I just went outside to the box and plugged in my corded phone. Exact same symptoms. Dial tone, can originate calls, no ring on incoming calls, but I can pick up the receiver and connect to the call coming from my cell phone.

At least I know I don't have to climb under the house!!  

And I guess this is something that may come clear as the phone company continues to correct storm related problems.

Thank you!!!

(edited)

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

a month ago

2 minutes after making this post --- my phone rings!!! It was an ATT tech saying he had just replaced a blown fuse!!! Yaay!!

Get started...

Ask a new question