Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
yakksoho's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Feb 14, 2017 11:03 PM

Why can't I get the number of an Incoming Call?

I have a normal telephone, over 40 years old and still as fresh as the day it was made. I received a few harassing calls from telemarketers so I decided to file a claim against them. I called AT&T to get the incoming number and the rep said they did not have that information available to them. However, AT&T does keep it on file "somewhere." She said I would have to ask an attorney to subpoena the information.

I asked her where the subpoena would be filed and she said that although it was with AT&T, it was a separate department than where she worked (customer service) and she did not know the details. She said that I would have to ask the attorney to do it. So if you are filing in small claims court, and do not have an attorney, I don't see how it is possible to get the incoming call.

Personally, I think this is a major infringment on my privacy. I don't see why you can purchase a machine to see Caller ID but you cannot ask the telephone company who called you. Obviously it's no big secret, since anyone is allowed to purchase a Caller ID machine (not just attorneys). Besides, I have a right to see who is calling me because it is my privacy that they are invading. It is also my right to decide not to purchase a Caller ID machine if I don't want to. I think it is reprehensible for AT&T to withhold this information. They should be legally required to give you the incoming calls to their subscribers.

I can't believe it's not illegal to withhold the identity of people who are violating your privacy! I didn't press this issue with the Customer Service rep of course, since she cannot see the information anyway. But it is something that we must pressure AT&T to provide. 

So can anyone tell me, why won't AT&T tell me who the number who called me, but then they try to sell me a Caller ID box? What's the big secret here?

iamarobot

Guru

• 

462 Messages

6年前

If your phone service is under att uverse(voip) you can check the call logs by accessing your online acct on the phone features option. But if this is a traditional att landline phone, I am also not sure how to get that information. Robot Indifferent

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.