Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
yakksoho's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Feb 14, 2017 11:03 PM

Why can't I get the number of an Incoming Call?

I have a normal telephone, over 40 years old and still as fresh as the day it was made. I received a few harassing calls from telemarketers so I decided to file a claim against them. I called AT&T to get the incoming number and the rep said they did not have that information available to them. However, AT&T does keep it on file "somewhere." She said I would have to ask an attorney to subpoena the information.

I asked her where the subpoena would be filed and she said that although it was with AT&T, it was a separate department than where she worked (customer service) and she did not know the details. She said that I would have to ask the attorney to do it. So if you are filing in small claims court, and do not have an attorney, I don't see how it is possible to get the incoming call.

Personally, I think this is a major infringment on my privacy. I don't see why you can purchase a machine to see Caller ID but you cannot ask the telephone company who called you. Obviously it's no big secret, since anyone is allowed to purchase a Caller ID machine (not just attorneys). Besides, I have a right to see who is calling me because it is my privacy that they are invading. It is also my right to decide not to purchase a Caller ID machine if I don't want to. I think it is reprehensible for AT&T to withhold this information. They should be legally required to give you the incoming calls to their subscribers.

I can't believe it's not illegal to withhold the identity of people who are violating your privacy! I didn't press this issue with the Customer Service rep of course, since she cannot see the information anyway. But it is something that we must pressure AT&T to provide. 

So can anyone tell me, why won't AT&T tell me who the number who called me, but then they try to sell me a Caller ID box? What's the big secret here?

iamarobot

Guru

• 

462 Messages

5 y ago

If your phone service is under att uverse(voip) you can check the call logs by accessing your online acct on the phone features option. But if this is a traditional att landline phone, I am also not sure how to get that information. Robot Indifferent

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.