Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
S

• 

5 Messages

Tue, Jan 12, 2021 11:18 PM

Who owns the actual telephone numbers ??

My family had the same landline telephone number since 1976 (through the Pacific Bell, to SBC and finally the AT&T mergers) to 2019. 

We disconnected the telephone number in 2019 when my parents passed away.  No one has claimed the old family telephone number since (I confirmed this with AT &T). 

I live in the next town over (5 miles away) and would like to port this number to my AT&T VOiP account.  Is this possible?  I called AT &T and they said it was not possible because the old family telephone number is located in a different "rating"?

Any suggestions about how I can claim the old family telephone number (short of physically moving my home)??

Responses

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

10K Messages

2 months ago

The phone companies own the numbers, once disconnected you can't get them back, specific numbers can no longer be assigned the only numbers assigned now days are computer generated. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

I was under the assumption that under FCC regulations that carriers do not own the telephone numbers otherwise, for example AT & T can come in and claim all the telephone numbers in a particular prefix. 

Also isn't it FCC regulation that I am able to port a number out? 

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

10K Messages

2 months ago

You can port active numbers, not inactive ones.  There is no FCC regulation I know of that says the phone companies don't own the numbers, you'd have to show me that one.  Phone numbers are assigned, not sold. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

Any suggestions on how I can port the old family landline of (510)530-xxxx?

I currently have an AT & T VOIP telephone number that I would like to switch out to the (510)530-xxxx number.

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

2 months ago

Any suggestions on how I can port the old family landline of (510)530-xxxx?

Is that still an active number? 

I believe your question has been answered.  😬

Don't mess with old people.  The older we get, the less "Life in Prison" is a deterrent.

Get started...

Ask a new question