B

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, May 6th, 2021 3:32 PM

Closed

Trying to port ATT landline to cell

I need to port my mother's landline phone to her cell phone.  I need the PIN associated with the account, but the support numbers have been useless.  I even went to a store but they didn't know - thought it was either the numbers following the account number on the bill or the pin under the "plans and services phone number".  They wouldn't call anyone, since I wasn't porting to ATT wireless.  Their are 7 numbers following the account number xxx xxxx.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Your account pin is something you set yourself online. If you never set one, it’s very possible your pin is the last 4 of the account owner’s SSN. Otherwise, log into your account and set your pin.

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

This is an old landline (30+ years), so there is no online PIN - There was no online back then! And no option to set it online.  The guy at the store didn't think is was the last 4 digits of social, but then he wasn't much help anyway.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

It doesn’t matter how old the landline is or whether “online” existed back then. The account pin got added somewhere along the way and yes, you can get online access and set it. My landline is nearly as old, my account pin is what I set it to. 

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I'm glad it worked for you. I have an online account and no option to set a pin.

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I was able to port using the 4 digits following my account number (phone number followed by 3 digits) on the billing statement.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

RESOLVED:  The default PIN is the last three digits of your account number and the last digit of your account number.  For example: If your account number is 312-555-6666 123, then your default PIN is 1233. 

I never knew I had a PIN on my account until I tried porting my landline number away after 25 years.  It took me a half hour to get someone at AT&T who knew this answer.  I'm looking forward to finally getting rid of AT&T next week.  Lily Tomlin's SNL sketch from the 70s ("We don't care.  We don't have to.  We're the phone company.") is still 100% accurate.  I bet that slogan is engraved on the fixtures of the executive washrooms.  Trouble is, their few competitors are just as frustratingly incompetent and overpriced.

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

For anyone reading this in March 2022...

For old ATT landlines, traditionally ATT landline customer agents would ask for the 3 digits following your phone number at the top right of your landline bill to confirm your identity.

It would read "XXX XXX XXX YYY Z". 

XXX-XXX-XXX would be your phone number with area code.

So they would traditionally ask for what YYY was. 

Your landline "account number" is basically the whole thing XXX-XXX-XXX-YYY-Z

The PIN number (used for PORT requests) is basically YYY-Z (four digits).

How they came up with the PIN number was basically taking the 11th, 12th, and 13 number of your account number "YYY" + the last digit (aka 14th digit) of the account number "Z" to give you the PIN which is YYY-Z (four digits) 

Put another way, the last four digits of your "Account Number: XXXXXXXXXXYYYZ" is your PORT PIN: YYYZ

As far as I know there was no way to change this PORT PIN, manually or with online access because this was simply an account number assigned by legacy AT&T. Some of the responses above referred to a PIN process with ATT Mobile but were not applicable to ATT landline.

Hope this helps, cheers. 

(edited)

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for the information. Since this post is a year old I'm going to close it to further posting.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.