Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

philryder

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Sun, Feb 25, 2018 4:52 AM

Closed

My landline can't call my cellphone...

When either of my two legacy landlines in my house try to call by daughter's cellphone, we get the message that her line has been "disconnected or is no longer in service."  My next door neighbor also has an ATT landline, and she gets the same error message when she calls my daughter's cellphone.

My daughter can receive calls from everyone, and she can even call the landlines that can't call her.

We went to the ATT store and they took the SIM out of her phone and put it into one of theirs, and we tried to call from our landline...still the same problem.  Then they gave us a new SIM, and we tried to call again from our landline...still the same problem.  So, that proves that neither her cellphone or her SIM are the culprit. 

We think it must be the landlines somehow, now, but the people that I call at ATT are baffled.  They haven't sent anyone out yet, preferring to try to make it work from their end...so far no luck.

Any ideas?

Responses

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

6.3K Messages

2 years ago

I determined your area code and find that the switch you work out of contains 16 different exchanges in it, so this is a large switch, so I'd assume more than just you would be having problems. The switch your daughter works out of has only 3 exchanges and it's a different phone company, not AT&T, so the problem could on that end since it's a small independent switch and the odds of people calling from the exchanges out of your switch to the switch your daughter works out of would be much smaller.  AT&T is still responsible to run this trouble for you.  I hope all this makes some sense to you, I'm trying to help you understand the trouble.  

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
philryder

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you.  I'll try to pass that information along...if they answer their phone.   I'll keep you posted as to what happens.

philryder

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

They finally fixed it.  Apparently, something was put on the line somewhere that routed every call made to the "287" exchange to instead go to that error message.  Honestly, I didn't understand the explanation, but I was glad to have the phone finally fixed after such a long time...nearly 3 weeks.

Thank you again for your help.  Narrowing it down like that got them moving in the right direction.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

6.3K Messages

2 years ago

Thank you for letting us know it's fixed.  It's truly sad this couldn't have been fixed on your first phone call, they should have ran with it the minute you told them it was going to an intercept message. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

My phone is now doing the same thing but its giving me a busy tone! And they can't give me any answers why either.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

6.3K Messages

a year ago

Than it's not the same thing and since this topic is a year old and not the same problem how about opening a new topic with a better description of your problem.  You say you're getting a busy so tell us from what service you're calling and what service your calling to that is giving you a busy.  Might want to see if others are having a problem calling the same number.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Our at&t landline always gets a busy tone when calling my at&t mobile
phone. It's been like this for over a week. I can call from my cell to our
landline. And I get calls from other people with no problem. Just not from
the home phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

It sounds like I've been having the same problem that KeithR256 is describing.  When trying to call my cell phone form our landline we get a fast busy signal.  I can receive calls from others and can call the landline.  This started two weeks ago when I upgraded my cell phone.  I spent 2-1/2 hour on the phone with an AT&T cell phone tech, who finally suggested that I replace the new phone.  New phone and new sim card and I'm still getting the same results.  Another hour with an AT&T landline tech who could figure it out either.  Both landline and cell phone are through AT&T.

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

6.3K Messages

a year ago

A fast busy is a fail signal from the switch, this will be a problem in the switch the NXX from the landline terminates in.  Is there someone in your same area code and exchange that can call your cell to see if they get through?  Would be best if they were in the same hundreds group on the last four digits.  I don't know why an upgrade would have anything to do with this unless the cell phone number changed.  Make sure you haven't somehow blocked your home phone, though that shouldn't give a fast busy. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Has anyone found out this situation with landline phone and cellular. Having this problem with a great friend of mine she can't call my cellphone gets a busy signal but I can call her. Help Please

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I have the same problem. I can call my friend's landline from my cell, but she cannot call me from her landline. I think ATT (my carrier) is trying to eliminate landlines. I actually read about that a while back. I eliminated my landline. Other than that I have no answers. Sorry.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Yes this could be the case about trying to do away with landline

ATTDmitriyCM

Community Manager

• 

9.2K Messages

a year ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this subject. The topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have an answer that worked for you? Help other users by marking helpful posts as an "Accepted Answer". And don't forget to leave a Like!

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…