philryder's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Sunday, February 25th, 2018 4:52 AM

Closed

My landline can't call my cellphone...

When either of my two legacy landlines in my house try to call by daughter's cellphone, we get the message that her line has been "disconnected or is no longer in service."  My next door neighbor also has an ATT landline, and she gets the same error message when she calls my daughter's cellphone.

My daughter can receive calls from everyone, and she can even call the landlines that can't call her.

We went to the ATT store and they took the SIM out of her phone and put it into one of theirs, and we tried to call from our landline...still the same problem.  Then they gave us a new SIM, and we tried to call again from our landline...still the same problem.  So, that proves that neither her cellphone or her SIM are the culprit. 

We think it must be the landlines somehow, now, but the people that I call at ATT are baffled.  They haven't sent anyone out yet, preferring to try to make it work from their end...so far no luck.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

Not who she can call, but can anyone from your same NPA and NXX call her?  As stated before I'm betting the answer is no.  To prove this it has to be the same NPA and NXX trying to call her number or you calling anyone else in her same NPA and NXX. Again I'd bet the answer is no.   Just pick a random last 4 digits, just a few try's will give you an answer if you don't know anyone else in her NPA and NXX keep it within the same 100's group, for example if your daughter number is 12xx, just change the xx not the 12.  There is no other way you're going to prove this.  The trouble is going to be your end most likely.  

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

Have you tried all ways to call it?  1 plus area code and number, 7 digit number or just area code and number less the 1.  I'm assuming you have, but don't know if I don't ask.  You stated they gave you a new SIM card, what type service do you have?  Traditional landline (POTS)? u-verse? Wireless home phone? You don't need a SIM for a traditional landline.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Yes, I've tried all that.  We have a traditional landline.

The SIM I'm referring to is for my daughter's cellphone.  We had it tested and then replaced to make sure the problem wasn't her cellphone or SIM.

You misunderstand the problem, I think.  –When we try to call our daughter's cellphone from our home landlines, we get the error message that her phone is "disconnected or is no longer in service."

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

I understand the problem, just trying to make sure I know what service you're using as many don't distinguish between the different service and call them all landline, except for cell of course.

So the one dialing plan I left out was 1+the seven digits.  The only other questions I have is can you call other cell phones that have your daughters same NPA and NXX (area code and exchange)? Can anyone in your NPA and NXX call your daughter? The error message you're receiving often means a dialing error or switch programming, so that's why you need to try all the different ways to dial it, which it seems you have.  My bet is no one from your NPA and NXX can call the area code and NXX your daughter is in which would indicate a switch programming problem. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Yes, she can call anyone that she tries to call from her cellphone.  Not sure if any are the same exchange, but they are the same area code.  And everyone that we have asked to call her gets through except the two landlines in my house and my next door neighbor's landline...all of which are connected to the same junction box, and all are old school landlines.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

Another thought, is she using a prepaid service like Cricket, Tracfone or some other reseller of service?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Yes, anyone from our area code can call her...at least so far.  It all worked up until Feb 8.  Now suddenly we are having this problem.

I tried what you said, and every number I dialed in the "287" exchange (which is also her exchange) gave me the same error message.  Sounds like we're onto something.  Thank you.  Now what?  Any thoughts?

We are using ATT for everything.  My cellphones and landline are on the same package.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

OK, but I think you've found it, but just to be clear from your area code AND exchange, my guess everyone would have the same problem calling her.  There is a routing problem between the switch you work out of and the one she works out of, probably yours if I were guessing.  Now report it again to the phone company that you can't call anyone in that area code and exchange.  Customer service can't fix this it has to be given to their techs, specifically switching techs. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

The thing is, no one else has any trouble calling her phone that I know of.  Just our two landlines and the neighbor's can't call her as far as we can tell.

Thank you for your help.

I'll try to call ATT again.  Can't get through today, it seems...at least at the numbers that I have.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

6 years ago

You say "no one else" has problems calling her. Are they in your same NPA and exchange? NPA 123 exchange 456 last 4 XXXX

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.