Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
S

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Oct 16, 2020 2:56 PM

My at&t 1855 old land line phone displays "Line in Use"

I've been installing new phone jacks throughout the house.  all was going well until I pulled two out recently.  Now my old AT&T 1855 model land line that is hooked up in the kitchen displays "Line in Use" and the other phones that are wireless display "Check phone line".  What did I do to cause this to happen?

Responses

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

9.6K Messages

3 months ago

Sounds like you have a short on the line or the ring side is grounded.  Best bet disconnect the wires one at a time until you find the one causing it, assuming it's not shorted at the source. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

Thanks,, I will give it a try.  When I took two of the jacks out of the wall they had additional wires... (in addition to the red, black, yellow and green).  They were very skinny wires and they appeared not to be connected to anything.  It was very strange.  Have you ever seen anything like this?

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

9.6K Messages

3 months ago

You'd have to post a photo for me to understand what you mean by additional wires.  All you need is the quad wire and only the red and green are used for phone service. 

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question