We Still Have Great Cyber Week Deals: Check out our $5 and under smartphone deals!
The best prices for our Military families
Need to update email settings?
efair's profile

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Sep 21, 2022 1:29 PM

using an old bellsouth.net email account with thunderbird after closing the AT&T account

Hi,

I am asking this on behalf of my step-mother.  She has kept a bellsouth.net email address for several decades,  but recent changes required her to "close" her AT&T account and start using the web interface at yahoo.com to read her mail.  She has always preferred to use the thunderbird email client and does not like the web interface.  I have tried unsucessfully to configure thunderbird to work with the SMTP/IMAP/POP methods - these all fail with "time out" messages.

Is it possible to use thunderbird to send and receive email?

I noticed some references to "creating app passwords" in yahoo, but her yahoo account does not seem to have the ability to create app passwords.

If there is a support line or chat for this type of help please advise.

Thanks,

Ed Fair

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

8.5K Messages

2 months ago

Ed, I posted THIS in another thread and it outlines how to set up the current version of Thunderbird.  It should get your step-mom going.

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

Thank you @tonydi I will give this a try.  It will take a few days, but I'll update you after trying.

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

Spot-on @tonydi , worked perfect..  thanks!

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

8.5K Messages

2 months ago

Excellent! 👍👍

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.