Need to update email settings?

AT&T related help: AT&T Internet support

bobcaine's profile

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2022 6:51 PM

Try accessing att.net email through email program get configuration error

I am trying to access my att.net email using Thunderbird. I am using the following configuration which I have verified with at&t tech support. For Server Settings: Server Type: POP Mail Server Server Name: inbound.att.net Port: 995 User Name [email scrubbed] Connection security: SSL/TLS Authentication method: Normal/password Outgoing Server (SMTP) Description: AT&T Server Name: outbound.att.net Port: 465 Connection security: SSL/TLS Authentication method: Normal/password User Name: [email scrubbed] I get an error saying Unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration, user, or password. I know the user and password are correct. Anyone else had this experience and found a solution? Thanks, Bob Caine

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

Thanks for your response. I finally did find the answer on the internet. You need to create a secure key for the email account and use that instead of the normal password.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.5K Messages

2 months ago

I'm moving this thread to the Email forum.

Bob, take a look at THIS post I did earlier this year.  If you are using the regular password (the one that works when you log into the webmail interface at www.currently.com) then you must has authentication set to OAuth2.  That may require an extra step as I outline there.  Also, note the alternate yahoo servers that you should try.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.5K Messages

2 months ago

That's one way to do it but using the native OAuth2 support in Thunderbird is better.  Secure Mail Keys have shown to be less than reliable as quite a few people have reported that their SMK suddenly stopped working, requiring them to delete the key and create a new one.  Also, my understanding is that the SMK is essentially just a long password whereas OAuth2 has more behind-the-scene security as part of its process.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.