Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Need to update email settings?

Related help: Create a secure mail key

sharexyz666's profile

• 

15 Messages

Mon, Jul 11, 2022 2:05 AM

I don't know how to configure Thunderbird 102

I have generated a security key. I have set up an account using IMAP.mail.att.net, port 993, connection security autodetect, authentication method autodetect and user name without @att.net On the outbound side I use SMTP.mail.att.net, port 465, autodetect, autodetect, username without @net. TB says it is looking up configuration and probing server. It's been doing it for 30 minutes. I used the security key as my password. I can access ATT mail via the web no issues.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

3 m مضت

Moving this thread to the Email forum.

You do not use the Secure Mail Key on the current versions of Thunderbird.  It supports OAuth2 right out of the box so you use the "regular" password that works when you log into the webmail version at www.currently.com. 

However, it's a bit tricky to set up because Yahoo has an issue with the "official" email servers right now (shocker, I know).

I outline what you need to do near the very end of THIS thread.

Oh, you need to use the entire email address, not just the part before the @.

• 

15 Messages

3 m مضت

I appreciate the response.

I went to bed, got a good night's rest and went after it this AM.

Used my secret key as the password (didn't know TB was OAuth2 capable with the new release) and it worked,

Go figure.  

I did add your suggestion to my bag 'o tricks in case it quits working again.  

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

3 m مضت

Sure, the SMK still works if you don't try and enable OAuth2 (although for some reason Yahoo fights it initially as you saw). 

The problem with using it is we've seen quite a few instances where the SMK suddenly doesn't work any more.  People are forced to then delete the key and create a new one, well after spending a lot of time trying to figure out why their email client is suddenly no longer working. 

• 

15 Messages

3 m مضت

I used impa.mail.att.net and smpt.mail.att.net

You mentioned Yahoo. 

I'm not sure where Yahoo fits into things. 

I also used my SMK on my iPad and iPhone and it works as well. 

I never specified OAuth2 in anything as you correctly pointed out.  

Next time ATT mail quits I'll delete my SMK and try my original password.

It's a bit of a mess to set this up I must say.

Thank you

• 

15 Messages

3 m مضت

I mean imap.mail.att.net not impa.mail.att.net

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

3 m مضت

Heh, Yahoo fits into things because your AT&T email account is hosted by Yahoo.  AT&T pays Yahoo to provide the whole email "service" for att.net and all of the legacy AT&T email domains (sbcglobal.net, bellsouth.net, etc).

Weird that the SMK works on the Apple devices but I don't have anything to test that with.  Normally that's not required when the app does Oauth2 automatically, like the Apple apps do.

Oh well, given the state of things with Yahoo right now, let's be glad it works and not question why!  😁

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.