For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need to update email settings?
RLSmitty's profile

• 

4 Messages

Friday, March 4th, 2022 12:47 PM

SPAM Filter Stopped Working in February 2022?!?

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? It used to work pretty well, but in the last month EVERYTHING is getting trough to my Inbox. It's not even stopping the most obvious Subjects or suspicious Sender email addresses. I still use my "@sbcglobal.net" email address.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

@wandajothomas  This spam thing has been going on for months.  The issue with people being locked out of their Yahoo/AT&T email accounts because of "too many failed login attempts" has been happening since last October and still isn't fixed even though they apparently know the problem for which there are commonly available mitigation tools.

I know that this has been pushed up the chain at AT&T so this isn't a secret or something that they need more input on to get it on their radar. 

It's already clear that the Yahoo/AT&T people working on these issues (and the other half dozen problems plaguing the email service) are incompetent.

Frankly, I don't think AT&T even cares if anyone floods social media.  Certainly these forums fill up the front pages of Google search results when people look for answers.

If you want to voice your displeasure to the highest levels at AT&T, fill out the form HERE.

Ignore the stated purpose on the form.  This will be responded to within 24 hrs (often times even on weekends) by someone from the Executive Care team in the Office of the President at AT&T.  Once you submit, make sure you're ready to get a call from a number that isn't familiar.  If you miss it your chances of calling back and getting a successful result goes down.

• 

108 Messages

2 years ago

@tonydi Form submitted, thanks.

(edited)

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

Let us know what they say.  I hope they don't just fall back on the bad info they were apparently given months ago.

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

I used the link for reporting to issue to AT&T @tonydi provided a couple of days ago. I received a call and they left a number for call back. I spoke to the rep and he was extremely helpful. He is going to research on his end and may have someone from the tech side contact me. We shall see how it plays out. I highly recommend everyone reach out as volume speaks loudly. Be polite as you catch more flys with honey than vinegar. But I’m sure they will try to solve this if everyone files a complaint. I did let them know I contacted AT&T CS twice, Yahoo CS and AT&T tech support (who was quite rude) and got nowhere. I hope this helps.

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

2 years ago

I too contacted them and the person was extremely helpful. I came at it from a different angle.  When AT&T contracts with Yahoo, they have an "Interface Agreement."  Within that agreement are levels of service that must be provided or they suffer financial penalties.  Those levels of service include server uptime, speed of delivery and SPAM.  I really don't think AT&T technical people can help.  It has to be their financial people that meet with Yahoo monthly to go over the interface agreement metrics.  Also, Yahoo was purchased by Verizon which seems like an obvious conflict of interest, but nothing we can do about that.  She agreed to call me back after her investigation into this.  I do also encourage EVERYONE to complete the contact as she was aware there was another complaint and that seemed to carry some weight.

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

@wandajothomas I believe Verizon sold off Yahoo last year.

But the financial direction is definitely a good direction to come at them from. 

(edited)

• 

108 Messages

2 years ago

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

Verizon still owns 10%.  I wonder what 10% of 💩 is worth these days?

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

2 years ago

They are really getting tricky now.  They are inserting unicode characters that don't take up a space.  Copy the word "Norton" from the string below and paste it into a text editor (Word, Notepad, etc.) .If you move your cursor with the arrow keys to each charter in the word "Norton," you will see it takes two moves for every letter.

Y‎‎‎o‎‎‎u‎‎‎r C‎‎‎o‎‎‎m‎‎‎p‎‎‎‎‎u‎‎‎‎‎t‎‎‎e‎‎‎r C‎‎‎o‎‎‎u‎‎‎l‎‎d ‎B‎e‎ ‎a‎t‎ R‎i‎s‎k. S‎t‎a‎y P‎r‎o‎t‎e‎c‎t‎e‎d. G‎E‎T N‎o‎r‎t‎o‎n N‎O‎W!

I made a rule in Outlook (might work online too) but had to paste the word "Norton" and delete ALL the letters and all but one of the characters between the letters as a pattern in subject & body and it works.

PS  I have been in contact with AT&T daily but although the employee I'm working with is genuinely helpful, there seems to be no interest at the company level of addressing the problem, so we have to become our own spam patrol if we are to keep our att.net address.

(edited)

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

Good catch, @wandajothomas

So what are the odds that the spammers change the character you're filtering on?  😁  

It's a never ending battle, just like it is against people who distribute malware.  The more you try and build a wall, the more they work to figure out a way over it. 

I decided long ago (waaaay before they got as sophisticated as they are these days) that it wasn't worth the time and effort to try and block spam and just accept it and apply (Edited per community guidelines) use of the Delete key.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.