Pre-order the new Google Pixel 7, Google Pixel 7 Pro and new Google Pixel Watch - Online Now!
Need to update email settings?
mcbertram's profile

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Mar 1, 2022 9:20 PM

Recent massive failure in Sp*m filtering

About three weeks ago, I started getting flooded with Sp*m. I have spoken with other ATT based e-mail users who have experienced the same. It looks like Current/Yahoo stopped filtering Sp*m. There does not seem to be a way to contact either of those companies to get the issue resolved. Can someone at ATT help us out. It is nearly a third of my e-mail at this point. Setting filters does not help because senders never use the same domain twice.

dellray

• 

106 Messages

Il y a 3 m

@dj3183 Are you setting the filters on the "From" or "Subject"; setting filters on the "From" will not work.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Il y a 3 m

“From”. But I also have filters set up to kick out any emails that have the word McAfee within the body of the email. But since the scammers use pictures instead of text in the body of the email, this filter can’t pick it up.

(edited)

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.9K Messages

Il y a 3 m

Change to a different service. None of those types of emails even make it to my InBox. They are all trapped in my GrayMail folder where they are automatically deleted after 6 days. I just check my GrayMail folder once a week to make sure that something important didn't get trapped.

dellray

• 

106 Messages

Il y a 3 m

I have been getting only one spam a day when using this immediately after receiving the spam.

This is a little complicated, work through it carefully, after doing the first one, it will be easy.

Most spam is coming through with a image which has a link connected to it:

1. Right click on the image and select "Copy link".
2. Open Notepad or any editor and paste the link.
3. The link may look like this:  
 http://abc.def.ghi.com.au/ select ghi.com.au
 http://abc.def.ghi.com/ select ghi.com
 https://xx.yy/ select xx.yy
4. Open a Command window (press Win + r and enter Cmd) and enter: spammer_address -4.
5. In your browser, open arin.net or lookup.icann.org (if arin doesn't find it) and enter the IP address you got from the ping in the search box.
6. Scroll through the returned information and look for an email address that begins with abuse@ and use it to send an email.
7. While in your yahoo email, right click and select "View raw message"; select and copy all the text and paste it into the email.
8. Add another To: in your email and enter abuse@att.net.
9. Put SPAM in the email subject and send it.

What this does is to inform the registrant of the linked address that there is spamming connected to it and there isn't any registrant that wants to be connected to spam.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

Il y a 3 m

I'm one of the pack with spam, unannounced cutoff of email, and PW reset notifications.  I'm following this and other threads and IMO think Tonydi's analysis is the best.

In that connection, I escalated my situation using a linked form provided in one of Tony's posts.  I did get a quick reaction phone call then from Ms Langhorne from the Office of the President 07.11.  Danced and fenced some as to how this could be AT&T's problem, but the call ended with her forwarding my contact to someone else, who has phoned 2X, the second being today, 07.14.

She had forwarded her notes of my tale (most interesting to her was the unannounced email disconnect) to what she called the last line or ultimate dept, had promised a callback in 48 hours, but called today to say that she'd gotten no response from that dept with word being that they were experiencing an order of magnitude increase in contacts (ahem), that she'd promised the call, was doing so now, and would call again upon getting a response.

Some items of our discussion, first call:

The official story pushed is that bad actors are doing this, with a recent auction  (unspecified dates) of data on the dark web. She didn't know if DHS had been notified, since bad actors might have some state sponsors, right?

She agreed with me on a "pity" description of my experience at the phone in "tech support" level, that this lack of acknowledgment is enraging a growing number of customers, and that maybe a higher up should decide it's Come to (Edited per community guidelines) time and publicly disclose this situation.

There you go. Working on it, no solutions, no timeline for changes.

I'm heading to Gmail, where I'd dipped toes in a couple years ago.  I'll keep looking at the forums here occasionally, but I'm not holding my breath.

Take care y'all.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Il y a 3 m

Agreed lots of well-meaning people are putting in tips on how to do things but the consensus is that nothing is working and hasn’t for several months

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Il y a 3 m

If Verizon owns Yahoo then why is AT&T using yahoo for email interface?

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

Il y a 3 m

@Citoyen563   Thanks so much for the report on your experience with the OoP.  At least they're sticking to their story.  😁  The additional info about the data set sale might explain why this is only happening to a subset of all of the accounts.  Still doesn't explain why they can't seem to stop what is a pretty common type of attack.

@mountpaul  Verizon sold most of Yahoo/AOL to an investment management firm last year.  They still hold 10%.  But even before Verizon bought Yahoo 5 yrs ago the email service was a dumpster fire and AT&T should have bailed then.  Maybe they negotiated such a sweet deal that no reputable service could come close to the price.  It's clear AT&T has never cared much about the email service, considering it a necessary evil and that they're doing us a favor by providing it. With that mindset a totally crappy service is still better than none.

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

Il y a 3 m

New, briefer update on the ultimate/last gasp AT&T tech support dept reached through the previously reported escalation to the Office of the Pres of AT&T:

1.  PW resets, do you have screenshots?  Yes, submitted.

2.  Email failure do you have screenshots; do you have browser, system info as to occurrence?  Yes, submitted.

3.  Flood of spam, not our concern.  You need to select and put in spam folder.  My Exec rep offered to give me Yahoo Email support number and i POLITELY but firmly said no, one too many logs on the fire.  And, I submitted screenshot of the spam folder populated 100% by hand selection, with pointed remark that NOTHING is being filtered by whatever exists.

4.  Discussion that surely AT&T has to have some metrics on which to base Yahoo payments on, and it's on IT, not US to kick someone somewhere about this dumpster fire.

And that's it from me.  I'm going to return to my legal practice and look at transition steps to alternate service, likely meaning GMail for "office" purposes and MAYBE Comcast for personal on previously established accounts.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Il y a 3 m

Citoyen: Do you have that email address for the OoP that you could share with us? I think it’s time for them to get a little taste of their own medicine?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.9K Messages

Il y a 3 m

FWIW, my old ISP was Sonic.net. It has one of the best Support and email services around. At least it's been rock solid for me for well over 15 years. My Graymail folder is chock full of GeekSquad, Norton, McAfee, etc. All with @gmail addresses (which I'm sure are spoofed). None of which, or maybe one or two per week, ever make it to my InBox.

I have Comcast now where we live because Sonic does not offer internet service where I live so I just kept their email service. I don't use Comcast for email either because I don't think they are much better in controlling spam. Maybe they are but I'm not willing to try. Gmail is our throwaway email accounts for everything else but personal and business.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

Il y a 3 m

@Citoyen563   Is this latest interaction with the same OoP person as before? If not it sounds like you just got dumped to some first level "support" drone who is completely clueless.  Yeah, call Yahoo and see what happens when you tell them your AT&T email account is having problems.  Yahoo be like  👉 👆👈👇

This is just hugely disappointing.  If people at the top end of the food chain, people who are supposed to be the group that can make things happen are resorting to this level of "help" then there's no hope that anyone is going to take responsibility about all these problems.

@dj3183   The way to contact these people is by filling out the form HERE.

Ignore the stated purpose on the form.  This will be responded to within 24 hrs by someone from the Executive Care team at AT&T.  Once you submit, make sure you're ready to get a call from a number that isn't familiar.  If you miss it your chances of calling back and getting hooked up again goes way down.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

Il y a 3 m

tonydi

This was the same person from the OoP.  Her call to me yesterday was an interim to say that she'd underestimated the last gasp/ultimate tech dept response time.  Today was to say she'd heard back, and my earlier post today described that. 

I consider my active pursuit of this now done.  I'll take a call or whatever if convenient, but I'm not performing any more beta tester/lab rat type functions, and will look to my own solutions.  If they stumble onto a magical series of "solutions" I'll skeptically look at them.  But, I think your assessments have weight, so it's likely just ensuring a considered transition to something else and be done with it.

Given my nomme de guerre, kinda fun this circled around Bastille Day.  Oh, for at least a trebuchet aimed at the walls.

• 

7 Messages

Il y a 2 m

FINALLY! I have created a filter in my Current Yahoo ATT email account for “unsubscribe” in the “body” of the email message. It works - most of the junk goes to the spam folder! I just have to check the folder if I’m concerned about missing something, which I have to do anyway because legitimate emails end up there sometimes.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

Il y a 2 m

Wow, that seems like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.  I just did a search in my emails and I have many hundreds of legit emails with that word in the body.

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.