Pre-order the new Google Pixel 7, Google Pixel 7 Pro and new Google Pixel Watch - Online Now!
Need to update email settings?
mcbertram's profile

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Mar 1, 2022 9:20 PM

Recent massive failure in Sp*m filtering

About three weeks ago, I started getting flooded with Sp*m. I have spoken with other ATT based e-mail users who have experienced the same. It looks like Current/Yahoo stopped filtering Sp*m. There does not seem to be a way to contact either of those companies to get the issue resolved. Can someone at ATT help us out. It is nearly a third of my e-mail at this point. Setting filters does not help because senders never use the same domain twice.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

Il y a 6 m

Thank you, I see your point.  Yeah, that seems pretty simple to spot although I've gotten legit emails that were just a picture so how does a "dumb" server decide which is spam and which is Aunt Millie sending me a picture of her cat?  Not that I'd mind if that got dumped into the Spam folder 😁 but I'm sure there are other examples where people would be ticked about it.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

Il y a 6 m

A picture is a picture, how do you create a filter that knows which are spam?  I'm sure they could implement a system like the govt has for identifying illegal pictures by using the hash value of the file but then the spam people would need to get a copy of known spam pictures and then do a hash check on every email with a photo.  They can't even stop emails that say "Nigerian prince" right in the text, so I don't see anyone trying to stop picture spam. 🙄

Don't you find it curious that you and many others who were at the top of these threads no longer get this spam flood, yet others suddenly are getting them now?

And I've said from the outset, I have no explanation other than "spam happens".

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 6 m

The solution offered by ATT is not a solution. I have been getting bombed by spam for about 4 weeks now and have blocked hundreds of senders/domains. And the hits keep coming.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

Il y a 6 m

"The "solution" offered by ATT  Yahoo is not a solution"

There, I fixed it for you.  😁

It's never been a solution.  Gmail doesn't have a solution.  Outlook.com doesn't have a solution. ProtonMail, Zoho, iCloud.....none of them have solutions.  The major spammers are extremely talented and will always win out.

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 6 m

Maybe, but I have gotten more spam in my inbox than I had in the last 5 years. 

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

Il y a 6 m

Oh, no doubt that something is clearly wrong at Yahoo (well, not just their spam filters). 

What I can't understand is why it only affects some (apparently small) percentage of users.  I've not gotten even one in any of my Yahoo or AT&T accounts and I have a lot of clients who use these same services and I've polled them informally and none are seeing it either. 

Plus, look at how many people are posting here about password/login issues.  We should see far more complaints about the spam if this were as widespread as that problem seems to be. 

I just don't know why it's happening but I'm pretty sure it's not the Russians.  I think it's far more likely that it's either Italian satellites or j.e.w.i.s.h. space lasers. 😁   (Can't believe the forum filters out that word.)

(edited)

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.9K Messages

Il y a 5 m

I think the real solution to control spam was mentioned somewhere in this thread earlier and that was to switch to a provider who does a better job at catching spam than AT&T/Yahoo.

When we moved to another state I kept the email service from my old provider (for $6 per month) and never used my new provider's email service nor AT&T's. I get practically zero email spam and when I go into the Graymail folder, there are usually anywhere from 50-100 spam emails in there over a 2 day period. Ocassioinally a legit email will get trapped but it's easy enough to release it. Checking the Graymail folder every couple of days takes less than a minute so it's time well spent.

• 

13 Messages

Il y a 4 m

They like getting the Government money per Subscriber as long as they don't have to do anything except provide the Basic Service. Looks like they want people to pay them for a Spam Blocker.

Funny part is, there's 3, or 4 from McAfee, and Norton. They're really not, but it's kind of funny.

I've been getting 10 to 15 Spam emails every day, and all around the same time at night. Looks suspicious to me.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

Il y a 4 m

Moving this thread to the Email forum.

• 

13 Messages

Il y a 4 m

I have no idea what your getting at. Maybe you could try English.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

Il y a 4 m

@kingofaxx  Are you talking to me?  If so, it seems pretty simple.  This thread was in the wrong forum (Internet) so I moved it here.

(edited)

• 

13 Messages

Il y a 4 m

tonydi
tonydi,

Whats wrong with this thread? It seems to me, this is the perfect place, because of all of the Bull-Ends Spam we're all getting.

Like you wrote; "*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own."

My opinion is It Belongs Here, unless I'm not permitted to have one.

You know what they say about "Opinions".

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.5K Messages

Il y a 4 m

For someone who wants answers in English, you're sure having a difficult time of it.

This thread was originally in the INTERNET forum.  You added your comment to this thread when it was in the wrong forum, because that's where you found it.

The thread is about EMAIL, which now has its own forum.  I simply move the thread there where is was appropriate.

Express away!

• 

13 Messages

Il y a 4 m

It has to do with Spam, as that's what everyone else is Posting about on this Thread..

ACE - Expert

• 

23.2K Messages

Il y a 4 m

@kingofaxx   Allow me to offer some clarity: 

TPTB recently recreated this EMAIL forum as a separate forum from the generic INTERNET Forum.   @tonydi took the opportunity to move this thread from the INTERNET Forum to the more specific EMAIL Forum

Apparently there have been so many issues with AT&T email that someone felt the need to create a whole NEW forum to address just Email issues.

Perhaps you have not visited the forums lately so you were unaware of the addition of this new Email Forum.

(edited)

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.