For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need to update email settings?
mcbertram's profile

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, March 1st, 2022 9:20 PM

Recent massive failure in Sp*m filtering

About three weeks ago, I started getting flooded with Sp*m. I have spoken with other ATT based e-mail users who have experienced the same. It looks like Current/Yahoo stopped filtering Sp*m. There does not seem to be a way to contact either of those companies to get the issue resolved. Can someone at ATT help us out. It is nearly a third of my e-mail at this point. Setting filters does not help because senders never use the same domain twice.

Scholar

• 

267 Messages

2 years ago

I just deleted 190 that I have placed in my spam folder for the last 5 days.  In looking at the headers, they all are coming via Microsoft servers.  When I have reported them to MS, it had no impact.

Follow the money!  Unless someone works for Yahoo or ATT, no one has the answer!  I just dont know why Yahoo wants all of this garbage going thru their servers daily, it has to be enormous!

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

Setting up a filter that sends all emails without an "@" symbol to a separate directory is genius.   The posts above indicated to send directly to trash, but I created a folder specifically for these emails and this trick has caught 60 spam emails in the last 12 hours.  Each of these emails made it past the ATT/Yahoo Spam filters.   Finally a solution that may work.   I didn't see a single email out of the 60 that were valid.   At least now I can wait and go through these emails every few days instead of having to wade through a new spam email every few minutes to see the real ones.   Thanks. 

(edited)

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

Glad it helped Frustrated1000,

Its amazing that as I run my ATT email thru both the Gmail filter and the standard ATT filter.  All of these spams that GMail easily marks and filters ATT misses.  Its not that hard.  

Filters are based on the raw message, IP, and everything that I showed in the example snippet above.

So when one of these comes thru to Yahoo/ATT gateway and it looks like this:

by atlas110.sbc.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with HTTPS; Sat, 13 Aug 2022 20:55:35 +0000
Return-Path: <>

Its a no brainer its a spammer or "bad actors" as ATT answers everyone. They blame it on bad actors
and not their inept SPAM filter. Which worked great until February this year.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

AT&T has never said the spam issue is the result of "bad actors". 

In fact, they have never even acknowledged that the spam floods are a known issue. They just keep saying submit the spam (which we now know that AT&T Abuse dept doesn't want anything to do with because it's not coming from an AT&T sender) and here's how to make a filter.

• 

108 Messages

2 years ago

How do we know which email provider is being used to send the spam? In order to maker sure that AT&T gets an opportunity to verify that it isn't from them, I automatically forward every spam to them.

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

dellray,

That abuse email does nothing. Yahoo/ATT takes zero action. None.  If you are tired of the spam, use one of the two options listed above.  Stop sending all of the spam into the att email.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

@dellray   Since I'm fortunate not to be one of the people affected by the spam issue (or the login issue for that matter) I haven't actually gotten to see the full headers.  But there are certainly entries in the headers that identify the source, not to mention that Yahoo/AT&T "engineers" have access to server logs that provide a lot of detail.

I know you feel that dumping the spam back on AT&T's "abuse" dept teaches them a lesson or whatever, but all it really does it cause you more work. 

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Yesterday I spoke with a technical service rep at AT&T at length. He said AT&T is well aware of the phishing and spam bombardment. They know it's a problem. He did use the term "bad actors" to define the disruptors. He said it's important for users to keep forwarding phishing and spam emails to abuse@att.net because AT&T is going after the ISP addresses of the senders. He also acknowledge the issue people are having with being signed out of their accounts and constantly having to change their passwords to regain access to their accounts. I thought it was telling that a first-level representative was aware of and well-versed in how to respond to the phishing/spam onslaught and that they are working on a resolution ... as opposed to feigning ignorance about the whole mess. It tells me the problem has escalated to the extent that front-line employees have been armed with such information. I think fast-escalating complaints and calls and anger and frustration are making a difference. Don't let up, people.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.