Need to update email settings?
mcbertram's profile

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, March 1st, 2022 9:20 PM

Recent massive failure in Sp*m filtering

About three weeks ago, I started getting flooded with Sp*m. I have spoken with other ATT based e-mail users who have experienced the same. It looks like Current/Yahoo stopped filtering Sp*m. There does not seem to be a way to contact either of those companies to get the issue resolved. Can someone at ATT help us out. It is nearly a third of my e-mail at this point. Setting filters does not help because senders never use the same domain twice.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

2 years ago

What’s “Thunderbird’s filter”?

I just spoke to the Presidents office at AT&T. An individual by the name of Josh [EDITED]. In my opinion, totally unhelpful and apparently could care less. Says there’s nothing they can do about it. Typical for AT&T. If you want to call him and complain, his number is [EDITED]and his email is [email scrubbed]. Let’s fill HIS inbox with SPAM!

[EDITED per Community Guidelines]

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@dj3183  It is totally uncool to post anyone's name and number in a public forum. If I could edit that information out of your post I would. Hopefully the mods will take care of that because I think the time has passed where you can edit your own post.

And yes, there is very little that Yahoo/AT&T email can do about it now until Yahoo takes it seriously enough to hire competent programmers to at least keep up with it. Other ISP's handle the deluge of spam just fine.

• 

108 Messages

2 years ago

Yahoo is now filtering over 95% of spam, but this may be a fluke because all of it is similar in nature, don't know what is going to happen if the spammers move to other formats.

BTW: This is the worse forum I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with; even though I can look at all my posts, there is no link to get back to any of them, they have to be hunted down.

(edited)

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

That's good to hear but let's not get everyone's hopes up.  We've already seen their crappy filtering stop, then come back only to stop again weeks later.  I think this last flood is the third or fourth time it's switched off and on this year.

No doubt that this forum software is just as well coded as the Yahoo/AT&T email system. 🙄

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

No question that the forum layout needs a bit of improvement. We have been mentioning that for years but it all depends on who the forum design team is (I forget the platform) and what they are willing to do.

You can always go someplace else like Reddit for your complaints and help.

• 

108 Messages

2 years ago

I keep hoping that AT&T will supply a knowledgeable person to monitor these forums who has some authority to get something done.

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

I’m checking in to make my final report on my having gone down the escalation route through the office of the Presidet, using the link to the form one of the far more qualified persons poste on the forum.

Got a call within 24 hours. And then sand began to accumulate in the gears. The ultimate, last gasp, bestest tech dept wantted details and screenshots (my complaints: spam, email disconnection, failed login/PW reset). They were provided.

The Prez rep promised callbacks in certain time frames. Those began to slide, but she did call me to advise that she hadn’t back as expected , maybe they were busy (now why would that be?). 

The last content call went like this:  spam isn’t AT&T’s problem; yeah, there’s a setting for inactivity for email disconnect but location wasn’t given; PW login/reset is bad actors. She asked to close the ticket some 5 weeks after the escalation (June), with me starting to feel the issues in March at latest. She said I’d (Edited per community guidelines) survey call and I did. 

i refused to let caller use the script and went on a polite but pointed tirade saying in the 25 years I’d had my email accounts (sbcglobal), this had never happened before. Not interested in more playdates, going to do something at my pace and pleasure, and I will give my eval to anyone who asks and it won’t be good. 

Good luck all. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@dellray  The most knowledgeable posters on the forums are the ACE's. Each has his/her own strengths and experiences. ATTHelp monitors these forums and sometimes pays attention to the posted issues and tries to help. As to having dedicated staff who have the authority in a public, customer to customer forum to actually fix a major issue like spam is unreasonable. What goes on between Yahoo/AT&T email is way above the pay grade of Moderators. All they can do is pass the complaint along to their internal contacts, it goes up the chain, and.....

• 

108 Messages

2 years ago

@OttoPylot 

As to having dedicated staff who have the authority in a public, customer to customer forum to actually fix a major issue like spam is unreasonable.

So it is unreasonable to protect those who pay every salary at AT&T, is that correct? I though the purpose of this forum was to analyze and correct issues, not just to be social media, apparently I was wrong.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@dellray  Just to be clear, the ACE's are all volunteer. We get nothing but a lot of grief for our time.  ATTHelp are the paid employees with limited authority. They can fix some issues but pass most of them up the chain. The ACE's, on the other hand, actually do and can solve a lot of issues with tips on what they have done, links to specific steps, and just their experience in similar instances. Something like the spam issue is way up the chain and I'm sure Yahoo/AT&T are working on it but given you are dealing at a high level with two major corporations, who knows what the h*** they are doing. The spam issue should have been dealt with much better a long time ago but it wasn't, and Yahoo/AT&T Senior Management is to blame, not the lower level employees.

This is not, nor has it ever been, a Customer Support forum. It is made up of actual users who typically have more experience than the ATTHelp folks, who really just read off of a script, check the boxes, and move it up the chain. You'd be surprised how many issues are solved by the ACEs here.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.