Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need to update email settings?
drdelacruz's profile

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 8th, 2022 4:32 PM

Locked out of Bellsouth.net email on computer

I have a bellsouth.net email account and I can't get into it on my computer.  I have been able to access via phone.  I have gone to myATT.com and tried all of the options.  I somehow changes an email that lets me log into my old ATT account (for internet and TV, not email).  after changing password, etc, I tried to log in again and got the "looks like youve tried to log in too many times.  Recover your ID or reset your password to continue.  care code 205.2 [LU003].

Please help, this has been my primary email for past 15 years.

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

Sorry, since you seem to want to wordsmith, I've updated my post to say 'free internet based" service.  I do not get free internet, but I do use AT&T/Yahoo's email service that is delivered over the internet.  As such, as a non-paying AT&T subscriber, which is what most of us legacy email customers are, we are at the mercy of AT&T when there is an issue with the legacy email services.

Mentor

• 

289 Messages

2 years ago

@thompsam2   Isn't our legacy email like  sbcglobal.net, part of our internet package? I assumed it was..  if I was to cancel my internet with AT&T, I'd lose that email address..   My friend did.. When she got sick, she gave up her internet service with AT&T and she also lost her sbcglobal.net email address...  So I have assumed since she lost her email address when the internet was cancelled, the email is part of the internet we pay for... and since it is part of their internet package, they should be workng to fix the problem...  I have an att.net email address they made me create when I got directv and it has the same problem with the logging in.   the other day, I signed into att.com to check my account package with my sbcglobal email address and went through the same logging in problem and when I logged off, I found my email was also logged out and had to go through the crazy steps trying to get back in... So it's not just our emails having this problem..  am seeing the same issue going into att to check your account info...   

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

@Mamacat104 I don’t have internet through ATT. I’m not a customer and haven’t been for a very long time, yet my legacy email (@bellsouth.net) has always worked regardless because it was a free email given at the time of creation through AtT but it’s not dependent upon their service or it’s not really dependent upon whether you are a customer or not. I can’t speak for all legacy emails but it doesn’t matter for the bellsouth ones I know.

Mentor

• 

289 Messages

2 years ago

@AtomT    thanks ..  that I had no idea...  I know my friend had same one I do.. sbcglobal.net and she lost her email when she lost her internet... I've been with AT&T since (I heard)  southwest bell bought AT&T...  I had regular internet with them, then when it started working in my neighborhood, I changed to U-Verse, then later they talked me into changing from U-Verse to Directv and they made me create an att.net email.. but it has the same problem as I do with my sbcglobal.net email...  just wish they would fix this mess... 

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I have the Same issue. 

• 

13 Messages

2 years ago

I am convinced that their system is compromised and this is a hacking issue. When my password is reset I can get in for a short period and then it no longer works. I get the error message that I have exceeded the number of incorrect login attempts which means someone has been trying to login to my account. Once I am locked out I start getting hundreds of spam emails a week which never happened. I am currently locked out again and the spam is just rolling in non stop. I am still logged in on my phone, but if I sign out I won't be able to get back in.

Mentor

• 

289 Messages

2 years ago

@wbdarrow   Not necessarily are you being hacked...  I had this same log in issue with my bank 3 years ago...  I tried to sign in and got the message that I had attempted to log in too many times and I got locked out.. I called them on the  phone and told them I tried to log in one time and got the message and in 5 minutes they fixed the problem and I have never had the issue again with them....  So I don't believe that it has to be a hacking issue...  I think hacking is an an excuse they are using....

For a while, I was getting huge amounts of spam... for now it's slowed down... They logged me out again this morning and I had to go through hitting "Forgot password" and reset it... it's crazy... They really need to fix the issue...  I think they need to get rid of a number of tries and install 2-step verification ... so when you type in your password, it auto sends you a code to enter and then you are into your email.   I have another email account that does that...  when I sign into it, I get a code to verify it's me...     

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

@Mamacat104 "Isn't our legacy email like  sbcglobal.net, part of our internet package? I assumed it was."

I'm in the same situation as @AtomT in the I got my original email via Bellsouth when my internet service was with them.  This was many, many years ago.  I've not been a paying AT&T customer for years, but for some reason, they never took away my bellsouth.net email.  I assuming that once the email began to be provided by Yahoo, the old legacy email accounts just added to the number of users that Yahoo could serve ads to and so there was no reason to delete them when you cancelled AT&T's internet service.

I'm now starting to question whether I should transition out to gmail or some other email service.  If AT&T had a major problem with the legacy emails that would take a lot of programmer hours to fix, there's  good chance they might just say "Sorry folks, the legacy accounts are no longer supported."  Of course Google could say this about gmail some day as well, but my confidence in Gmail continuing to be supported forever is much higher than my confidence in Yahoo/AT&T supporting my bellsouth.net account.

Mentor

• 

289 Messages

2 years ago

@thompsam2   Ok.. thanks. I had no idea that people could keep their emails if they got rid of AT&T internet...   I know any email can just suddenly go away without warning and that is scary when you get all your bills and all your legal/official documents and things through you emails.  I panic when I can't get into my email because all my bills and important information and things come in through my email...  if it disappeared, I would be extremely stressed...    I may have to sit one or two days and change my email address in all my bills and my doctors, etc...  and hope I don't miss something... I have over 55 accounts I need to change over...  I love this email and sure don't want to see if go away...so am hanging on here .. but if it gets worse.. I may have to change over... I hope not...    I don't know why yahoo just don't take over all the legacy emails and run it like @yahoo.com ... because @yahoo.com isn't having this issue...

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

@thompsam2  @Mamacat104  Yes, I think Gmail will be safe since it’s a huge company (Google) that has all kinds of things it does but regardless it is safe to have a backup email to forward your main email too Incase you get locked out or something like this happens. I have a Yahoo email as well and nothing has ever happened to it like the bellsouth issue a lot of us are having.

They might fix it one day or they could as you say “we’re moving on…etc.” IF they do fix it who’s to say it wouldn’t happen again down there road? I would have a backup just Incase anything happens again.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.