Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need to update email settings?
drdelacruz's profile

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 8th, 2022 4:32 PM

Locked out of Bellsouth.net email on computer

I have a bellsouth.net email account and I can't get into it on my computer.  I have been able to access via phone.  I have gone to myATT.com and tried all of the options.  I somehow changes an email that lets me log into my old ATT account (for internet and TV, not email).  after changing password, etc, I tried to log in again and got the "looks like youve tried to log in too many times.  Recover your ID or reset your password to continue.  care code 205.2 [LU003].

Please help, this has been my primary email for past 15 years.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

@AtomT   They posted a notice here months ago and many of the ATTHelp people have included the link in their replies since then so it shouldn't have been a surprise.  It's not unusual for the phone "support" drones not to be in the loop even though that does boggle my mind.

Yahoo isn't saying anything because this appears to be an attack on the AT&T side of the email service.

The problem is that this sort of hacking attempt is a dime a dozen attack which has readily available mitigation measures, yet here we are many month later and Yahoo/AT&T is still "working on it".

If you can't reset your password because you have no way to authenticate that you're the actual owner of the account, nothing is going to change if this attack is finally knocked down.  It's a huge security and privacy issue to just issue temp passwords like they've been doing and they finally realized this and stopped as of 9/1.

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

@tonydi Ive talked to countless “drones” now both on phone and chat and not one mentioned hacking. It was only this technical support woman that after she verified my info and my bellsouth account that she said the option to reset on their end was taken away by ATT because of the hacking on Yahoo’s side. She said explicitly it’s Yahoo’s systems regardless and have to wait until their fixed. Yahoo was hacked in 2017 and it, IF I remember correctly caused a similar situation with legacy emails before and somehow it was resolved but I don’t remember how or how long it took for it to be. It’s odd there isn’t a company wide memo to everyone at ATT for this but here we are. Makes sense as my bellsouth email only started getting spam like crazy out of nowhere in July or August everyday until it kicked me out asking for verification again and then I couldn’t get back in at that point. It’s just a waiting game until they “hopefully” get it back up and then I’m sure I can logon again or they might have the option to at least on their end at that point in time.  

Mentor

• 

289 Messages

2 years ago

@AtomT    In my opinion.. this has taken long enough for someone to write a whole new email program..  AT&T blames Yahoo and Yahoo Blames AT&T..  they need to quit passing the buck and fix the problem..  many people need their emails to take care of their business... (home business stuff..  like I get ALL my bills in my email and If I can't get into my email, I have no idea when a bill comes in to take care of...)    I think someone higher up at AT&T needs to contact someone higher up at Yahoo  and take care of customers...  

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

The spam flood was a separate issue that began early in 2022.  It appears as though Yahoo had somehow disabled their server-side spam filtering.  It's come and gone multiple times since then and right now we're in the "enabled" stage. 

Note that none of the front line drones have ever mentioned the spam issue.  It's just how AT&T rolls. 

The spam problem didn't always hit the same people who had the login issues that began in October 2021. The login issue surfaced only a few weeks after there was a data breach that began being sold on the dark web.  There are still many users who have had only one or the other problem so it's not clear if there's any connection.

Yes, Yahoo has been involved in multiple data breaches since 2013 and excluding this recent one, had exposed 3+ Billion user's data.

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

@tonydi  You seem to know a lot about this. What’s your background? I haven’t heard about the spam flood but I didn’t get it until July or August and I figured something was up at that time. Either way our hands are tied it looks like until someone fixes it or just move on from it I guess. It’s pure ridiculousness for sure 

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

Hanging around these forums and reading nearly every post gives you a pretty broad perspective and the ability to piece together a lot of the info.  The first spam floods didn't generate a ton of activity here but it didn't take long to start to see a pattern in just the handful of posts.  Then it stopped, a number of weeks went by and it started again, with a significant increase in traffic.  As it's come and gone, each time the floods got bigger.

Adding to that experience I monitor a lot of other online resources as well as having access to people in the tech industry who understand the inner workings of these systems and are willing to answer my dumb questions also helps.

Ridiculous is being kind.  But I can't think of any word that really describes it that would still make it past the forum censor bot.  🤬

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

@tonydi Well that makes sense. Yeah I could’ve used a more “choice” word or statement for it, but I’m trying to have some form of composure too

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

Yea, unfortunately this is what happens when we use a free internet based service.  There is no service level agreement that can be enforced and for the most part, you are at the mercy of the provider.  If AT&T/Yahoo one day just decided to immediately stop offering their emil service, there's really nothing we as non paying customers can do.  Google and gmail could do the same so its really not just an AT&T/Yahoo issue.  It's just life in the internet age...

(edited)

Mentor

• 

289 Messages

2 years ago

@thompsam2    I don't get free internet service...  I pay quite a bit for mine... didn't know there was a free internet service out there ... especially AT&T...  I pay for mine and I did the upgrade with my email and pay $5 a month on top of the internet I pay for...  The only thing I see the $5 a month does is keep all the ads off my email and no videos showing in a mailbox when all the email is deleted from the box..  I'd like to know where you get free internet.. my daughter could use one...  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.