Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need to update email settings?
reservoirdog1's profile

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, August 21st, 2022 12:04 AM

Email settings?

My email stopped working a few days ago, and I finally got around to connecting with AT&T today. My mail was locked because of "too many attempts", and they restored my most recent password. 
The good news: I can now access my email on my phone and at yahoo.

The bad news: I still cannot access my mail from Microsoft Mail or Outlook 2019.

Yes, I tried deleting my old account and adding it again. 

When I try adding my account to Outlook 2019 it says "We couldn't log on to the incoming (imap) server", and when I try on M$ Mail it SAYS it worked, but then I cannot send or receive mail.

So, what do I need to do? If I have to choose between M$ Mail and Outlook 2019, I will take M$ Mail.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

I'm moving your post to the Email forum.

Now that you're in the right place, take a look at the list of posts and you might find one or two that seem similar. 

As far as your two email client, once you get the password issue settled you can use Windows Mail with that password.  I would advise against that at this point in time because Mail is currently having issues of its own when dealing with all Yahoo-based email accounts.

To get Outlook to work, you can't use the regular password.  Create a Secure Mail Key and use that every place Outlook requires you to enter a password.

Note that you may also need to change from the official email servers for your Yahoo/AT&T accounts because of yet another Yahoo issue.

Try imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com for the mail server names if you're doing IMAP.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Wewt! That did the trick!
Question: when will it be safe to use M$ Mail again? I have Office and get Outlook with it so no qualms with me, but I have a family member without an Office subscription, and she prefers Mail.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

It seems like Microsoft broke it with an update in early June.  That's when all the noise started on their community forums.

I checked two days ago and it still wouldn't download all the new email, only a couple and then said it was done even though there were at least 10 more.  Nothing I could do would make it download the rest.

Microsoft is close to releasing something code named One Outlook, now being called Outlook for Windows (yeah, let's not make it even more confusing!) which is intended to replace Windows Mail.  Some have speculated they may just ignore the bug in Mail and point people to use the new client.

A preview version was released early this month in the Microsoft Store but so far they must be limiting who can download/install it because the button to do that is MIA.

She should take a look at Outlook.com because that's a lot like what Outlook for Windows will look like since it's essentially a wrapper for the web version.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.