Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need to update email settings?
jilted_nTX's profile

Tutor

• 

15 Messages

Tuesday, April 30th, 2024 9:43 PM

Be cautious of "Let us know how you want us to communicate with you" scam e-mail

Today I received a fraudulent e-mail purporting to come from AT&T but was actually a phishing attempt.  It didn't bear the usual hallmarks of phishing e-mails with misspelled words and what-not -- with the exception of one telltale sign that I'll get to.  The subject of the e-mail read, "Let us know how you want us to communicate with you" and the text of the e-mail read: "We haven't heard from you lately and noticed it’s been a while since you've opened your emails. We want to make sure we have the correct information on your account.  By updating what AT&T communicates with you, you're better able to manage your services effectively.  Just visit the Preference Center and make your selection."  A link is included that connects to a onetrust site.  There the victim is prompted to enter the e-mail address and request a one-time passcode.  After receiving and entering the OTP from an e-mail having subject, "On Behalf Of AT&T" it displays a supposed error message that reads, "An Error Occurred.  The system is temporarily unavailable.  Please try again later or contact the Privacy Team for more information."  At that point the hacker has the OTP that was actually requested for your account (which account, I am uncertain).

Unfortunately, I thought this was actually from AT&T.  Typically I see the red flags but this one is more sophisticated and seems to actually come from AT&T.  The one giveaway which I mentioned previously is that the tagline at the very end of the e-mail reads, "AT&T, 208 S. Akward St. Dallas, TX 75202".  The street name is misspelled -- it should be "Akard", not "Akward".  So I fell for it and am now in the process of changing credentials for all accounts that are attached to my AT&T e-mail address.  Just posting this a warning for others.

14 Messages

2 months ago

Good catch and thanks for sharing. The bad actors are getting better at their craft as of late.

If you're in a rush, it's easy to miss a minor typo and fall into a trap such as this. I find myself wading through email headers more frequently than in the past when trying to ascertain the validity of a suspect email.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.