Gift your grad endless possibilities. Celebrate right now and connect them to their brightest future.
Att. Net is demanding I enter a cell number
Help. I am prevented from logging into my @att.net email unless I enter a cell number. I do not wish to provife a number. Previously number entry was optional. Effectively they have locked me out. Is there a chat URL?
Also, att.net recently decided my password was a "bad" word after years of use, and they made me change it. What is going on with att and yahoo currently?
I want to login in without providing a cell number. Help. MG
3 months ago
Hi there, @Mike0930! We understand that you're being prompted to add a wireless phone number for your email and want to help clear things up.
This is a security measure that helps to protect your account, and will allow you to receive a temporary password via text in the event that you ever become locked out of your email.
We've got a great article that discusses setting up text messages for password resets.
You can follow these steps if you have an AT&T Wireless number:
1. Go to Profile, then Contact info.
2. On the Phone tab, select Edit in the Billing phone numbers section.
3. Enter your wireless number as the primary or secondary number.
4. Check the box next to Use this number to recover your user ID or reset your password.
5. Select Save.
6. Complete any confirmation steps sent to your wireless number within 24 hours. Text message rates and other charges may apply. Check with your plan and provider.
If you do not have an AT&T Wireless number, then these are the steps you'd follow:
1. Go to Profile and sign in with your AT&T Mail address and password.
2. Select Sign-in info.
3. Scroll to My linked accounts and select Manage email.
4. Select Edit user information.
5. Enter your wireless number and check Use this number to reset your password.
6. Select Save Changes.
7. Complete any final steps sent to your wireless number within 24 hours. Text message rates and other charges may apply if you don’t have an AT&T Wireless number. Check with your plan and provider.
Heads up: It can take up to 30 days before you can use your wireless number to reset your password. This is for both AT&T and non AT&T Wireless numbers.
Please feel free to reach back out if you need help in the future. Thank you for contacting the AT&T Community Forums!
Lacey, AT&T Community Specialist
3 months ago
Hi, I am in the same boat as this user. I have cleared my cache & cookies, tried multiple browsers and still I keep getting the "Profile Information" reroute that requests I provide a cell phone number to gain access to my email... Please fix this for me, I have reached out to ATT on facebook, was provided a phone number to contact a support/specialist and have yet to hear back. I have been locked out of my email for more than a day now.