Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Need to update email settings?
dobbswhit's profile

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Feb 19, 2022 11:58 PM

Getting spam at att.net

I have an sbcglobal.net email. For the past two weeks, I am getting up to 10 phishing emails a day in my inbox all directed to an att.net email. How can I rectify this?

• 

9 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

Thanks everyone.  Comcast is my internet provider.  I used to have AT&T but they do not offer high speed in my area so we switched.  I never had this trouble with spam until April.  I don't know what happened.  Somethings are now going into a bulk mailbox which I can easily move all at once to the Junk mailbox.  I'm still getting 10-20 junk mail pieces interspersed among my regular email.  I have to go through quite a process to remove them permanently.  They all have what I call encoded senders with embedded senders beneath.  Those are the people I have to block.  

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.8K Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

@saffleck55  Are you using Comcast email or are you still using AT&T/Yahoo email?

• 

9 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

I'm using yahoo/at&t/sbc.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.8K Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

That's your answer. Yahoo/AT&T email service has been having considerable issues with controlling spam for most, but not all, users of their service. No tangible reason from either has been given for why or when they will be able to control it or, at the very least, minimize it.

• 

9 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

I'm aware but it's daunting to change.  If "they" can infiltrate AT&T, they'll infiltrate others.  I don't want to change email and have it happen again.

dellray

• 

106 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

Just to show how stupid these spammers are; I have receive 10 identical emails from one, if I am not going to fall for the first one, why would I fall for a second one? Most of the time I receive 2 about a minute apart, one usually goes to spam and the other to yahoo inbox, but it goes to Thunderbird's trash folder because of a filter.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.8K Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

@saffleck55  Yes, that is true. But it depends on who well your email service is, and dedicated to intercepting as much spams as possible. The email service that I use stops 20-30 per day, with maybe one or two sneaking thru to my Inbox per week.  They will sit in my Graymail folder for a week or so and the automatically deleted. I check my Graymail folder once a day to see if something that's real gets trapped but it's a rarity that it happens. So yes, all email services are being affected. It's just how well your email service is operated and maintained that makes the difference. 

When we moved to another state, I kept my previous email service and pay them $6 per month to keep it active so all of our important and personal contacts didn't have to get migrated. I would never use my current provider's email service and just setup a few gmail accounts for other uses.

• 

9 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

eoin1589...you are more daring than me. I'm not willing to let the deluge of phishing and malware emails find their way onto my computer at all. For months, I have had to clear the crap out of my AT&T/Yahoo webmail inbox before opening Outlook to download legitimate emails. After the download, I immediately quit Outlook. Lather, rinse, repeat, 20 times a day. None of what is happening at Yahoo is acceptable and it's very risky.

bchatm

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

Since I have shifted ‘all” my email to gmail (gmail is basically spam free) I stopped downloading my sbcglobal email using my Outlook client.  When I do logon to my AT&T homepage I’m then certain all the “new” email notifications are SPAM.

I simply do a quick scan, select “all” and mark “all” as SPAM.

I hate SPAM but that is a simple way for me to handle it and it works for me (usually takes less than 30 seconds).

Judging from all the posts “way too much” time is being spent trying to filter spam or complaining about SPAM.  DELETE IT AND MOVE ON.  That’s what I do!

• 

9 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

I have a question, when you say that you have "shifted all your email to gmail", are you talking about changing email addresses?  How can I "shift it" without changing my email address?

dellray

• 

106 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

@DPoole I'm the one that uses the comma and it has trapped every spam so far. I mark them Read and send to Local Trash, delete them when closing T'bird and I never have to see another spam. I do check online to make sure yahoo hasn't seen a honest message to Spam.

• 

9 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

I appreciate all the information.  I am going to have to do something soon.  The weekends are usually light with phishing, but today I deleted 15, one by one so I could block them while yesterday I had 27!  

I just don't understand what happened in April.  Before that, junk went to junk with a few errant ones sneaking through.  But since they have started using these encoded (no other idea what to call them) sender addresses that can't simply be blocked, I average 15 a day.  

• 

4 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

I have had an att.net email account since it was worldnet.att.net  A long time 

The spam problem has never been this bad. It is like att/yahoo is not even trying to solve the problem. I started earlier this year and is becoming worse. Your suggestion is to block the sender but that does not work as shown

To block the sender the email address has to be displayed as shown below
If there is no "return" address how can we block it???????
Here is a solution do not allow these unblockable emails to get past your filters.
This one is on att/yahoo to resolve quickly Our email addresses  are becoming useless. It was not a problem until recently why now.

• 

8 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

I posted about this problem a couple of months ago and it seemed to temporarily get fixed.  Now the last couple of weeks it is even worse. Dozens of spam in my Inbox's each day. I have had my two pacbell.net email accounts for more than 20 years. During that period I hardly ever received any spam in my spam folders let alone in my Inbox's. 

I have been setting up filters, marking emails as spam etc.  I even switched one account to Yahoo Mail Plus and it has made absolutely no difference. I believe the issue stems from the sender address formats that are being used by the spammers.

I download my email to Outlook 365 and I am having difficulty filtering the spam emails there as well  Most of the time Outlook 365 will not allow me to block the sender because of a sender email address problem.  This never happens with respect to spam received by my husband in his Outlook 365 as email is not through AT&T/Yahoo.  I have had to change my Outlook 365 junk setting to only allow emails from trusted sources and spam is still getting through to my Inbox's. 

It will be a hassle to switch email accounts after 20 years so I plan on hanging in a little longer.  I have two Gmail accounts set up and ready to go.  I started the conversion earlier, but because I use  POP settings in Outlook 365 there are some complications.

dellray

• 

106 Messages

1 دقيقة مضت

@FogCityMuse Test this on Outlook, I use Thunderbird and it works. Set your filter to "From" "Contains" , (from contains a comma) and it should filter every email that has only an image.

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.