For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
lauterbach's profile

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, April 7th, 2022 9:10 PM

Yahoo takes over one of my bellsouth email accounts

I am setting up a new pc.  Everytime I set you one of my two bellsouth.net email accounts, Yahoo takes over and wants my OAuth2 password.  How do I get rid of Yahoo?

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

Well, bellsouth.net, pacbell.net, sbcglobal.net, att.net and others are Yahoo, the company that AT&T pays to provide the email service.  So if you want to use that bellsouth account, you're stuck with Yahoo.

What email client are you trying to configure?  There is no OAuth2 password, there's either your regular password (the one that lets you log in to the web mail using www.currently.com) or if you disable OAuth2, you can use a Secure Mail Key in place of the password on your email client.  HERE are the instructions for creating the SMK.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Hello Tonydl.  Thank you for your reply.  One bellsouth email I just set up on evolution 3.44.0-1 (linux) works fine with imap.mail.att.net for receiving and smtp.mail.att.net for sending.  That also works for evolution 3.40.4-1ubuntu2 on another linux PC.   My other bellsouth account on that latter PC works fine with imap.mail.yahoo.com with TLS on dedicated port security.  Both accounts work fine on Outlook 365.  The first bellsout.net email account has been in active for sometime before I recently started using it more frequently. The bellsouth.net account I had been using regularly was getting so much irrelavent email that I have switched everything important to other email accounts.  John

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

The suggestion by Tonydl are appreciated, but they don't work with Linux OS.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

The only instructions I offered were the link to how to create an SMK.  That shouldn't be OS-dependent so could you clarify exactly what doesn't work?

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

I ran across some comments by another forum member last week who got Thunderbird to log into a legacy account by using the Yahoo servers rather than the ATT servers.  I tried it and it worked, but that was on a Windows machine.

I just created a Mint VM and tested it and I got it to work there, too.   Once I used the Yahoo servers and ports (imap.mail.yahoo.com/993 and smtp.mail.yahoo.com/587) and used my real password (not SMK) I hit the Re-test button and got a success notice. 

I was then able to go into Authentication and  OAuth2 finally appeared.  When I clicked Done I got an authentication popup where I needed to provide my sbcglobal credentials. 

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you tonydl. I got a currently.com account.  Now on my evolution (under Ubuntu 22.04), someone thinks my [email scrubbed] is my currently.com email.  However, [email scrubbed] works just fine as does the former email running under an older version of evolution under Ubuntu 21.10.

So, how do I get an OAuth2 password for [email scrubbed]

(edited)

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

Sorry, the forum software wipes out emails (and rightly so, you don't need any of the crazies around here to have that info).

Again, there is no OAuth2 password.  As I said multiple times, when you use OAuth2 you use the regular password, the one that works when you point a browser to currently.com. 

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

My bellsouth.net account has locked me out even using my correct password. I am trying on currently.com and yahoo.com.  It gives me an error message that says I tried logging in too many times, and I haven't!  When I try to reset password, it tells me my information is incorrect. Any ideas how I can get into my email?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.