Protect yourself online
The5DsOfDogeball's profile

4 Messages

Thursday, November 23rd, 2023 2:35 AM

Was I scammed of my identify?

Hello,

I had AT&T come in to do some repairs and all was well, the gentleman that helped me was more than professional and all good.  About 15 minutes later, my doorbell rang and a guy with an AT&T badge hanging from his pants said he was an account manager and wanted to know if he could come in.  I said, sure, of course.  He mentioned that he usually comes with the service tech; however, he was running late.  This didn't sound totally out of line due to the fact that I was incredibly unhappy and stubborn to the customer service people on the phone prior to the technician's arrival.  Anyways, he started talking about this and that and asking what services we have, etc.  He had an official AT&T tablet with a credit card reader attached to it so all looked good.  He then asked to scan my driver's license to get our account up on his phone and for some stupid reason I didn't think this felt weird until after he left.  He scanned it...3 times stating he was having trouble getting it to go through.  It finally worked and he showed me my account and then we talked about a few other things including switching a cell phone over and that was basically it.  I told him I needed to talk to my wife as it was regarding switching her cell phone, not mine.  I then asked him for a card and he patted down his pants pockets and said I forgot them in my car, just give me your number and I'll text you from the car.  I said okay, gave him my number, then he left, got in the car and texted me "Amer with att" from a local phone cell phone number.  Until after he left, I didn't feel this was odd, but then my heart sank and I thought...did I just give away my identity to a thief?

This happened 11/16/23 and it is now 11/22/23.  I'm now just remembering this whole situation (my life has been a blur the last month or so - my apologies).

So, I'm asking for reassurance that this was legitimate or if I need to contact the DMV to get a new license and all the previous information wiped.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.5K Messages

3 months ago

The sales personnel that show up either during or after a service call are legit.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.5K Messages

3 months ago

There have been NUMEROUS posts on these message boards concerning sales people showing up after a tech visit.  The whole “scan the drivers license” is a new one but YES, ATT sends people into homes after repairs to make sales for additional services.

I don’t know what else to tell you.  🤷‍♂️

3 months ago

skeeterintexas, thank you very much for your response and your time.  Can you please elaborate as to how you came to that conclusion? There just seems to be so many red flags thrown at this situation that I'm still uncomfortable (even after seeing your expertise [badges] on this forum).  Thank you!

3 months ago

skeeterintexas, thanks much, I greatly appreciate it.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

3 months ago

@The5DsOfDogeball@skeeterintexas  is correct, but I would certainly monitor my AT&T account for awhile to make sure there aren't any extra charges there and I would certainly monitor my other accounts (as you should be doing anyway) just to make sure. I don't trust anybody who comes to my door unannounced and tries to sell me something, and I never give out my ID. I too would be uneasy about the driver's license scan. AT&T already knows who you are so unless you are purchasing something I don't see a reason to scan anything. You could have just as easily brought up your account on your laptop.

3 months ago

@OttoPylot that is pretty much what I was thinking and I really appreciate you adding to this.  I will continue to monitor my AT&T account for sure.

Thanks again everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving.

• 

4 Messages

3 months ago

The last guy plugged in my fiber optic straight into the wood and routed to a cell phone in my my apartment complex then I get kicked out you have no idea how much I have had to pay over the last 7 years 10 apartments always because I refuse to let a kid get on my router fooling me all they make was machine that looks like a router and it lights up the printer said someone's using your SSID and IP address what do I do I mean what's money going to do give me my 7 years back

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

3 months ago

Wow. That last post made absolutely no sense at all. Too much turkey and dressing today.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.