AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
Protect yourself online
JD_Stolz's profile

• 

6 Messages

Sat, Apr 30, 2022 12:55 PM

Closed

Verification Codes and Multi-factor Autentication

Login to my e-mail account from the AT&T login page took me to a screen asking for a wireless number to send a verification code:

Unfortunately, I don't have a wireless phone to send a code to.

I found that I was able to get to my e-mail page by using the "Back" button in my browser. (Now I have a different issue with login to my e-mail)

This response to logging in was an unpleasant surprise for me.

If you had asked for a telephone number that a code could have been voice messaged to, or requested that a key be pressed to authenticate, this would have been workable.

Please consider hardware keys as options for multi-factor authentication of users.

I have a Yubico "Yubikey" hardware key.

In addition to the e-mailed verification code or SMS text code verification code, this hardware key enables multi-factor authentication through the following:
1. Authenticator App. (verification code generator enabled by hardware key)
                                                     or
2. Physical key presence (key in USB port or Near Field Communication with mobile phones) 
                                                     or
3. Biometric (fingerprint) authentication (if featured in the key)

No mobile phone is needed with this hardware key, but it is able to work with mobile phones.

The Login.gov site does 2 factor authentication setup VERY well.

Please consider this.

• 

1 Message

5 months ago

I think my x is using my att email to get in and take control of my data.  What can I do to stop it 

(edited)

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

8.6K Messages

5 months ago

Well, not tacking your question onto a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with your question would be a start.  And posting in the EMAIL forum might also help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.