AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
Protect yourself online
THR8061's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Sep 19, 2019 1:11 PM

Closed

Updated AT&T Email Security Setup for Outlook 365

I have multiple Windows 10 PCs each running Outlook 365. This is required to archive our email to a local & offsite secured devices.  I received an email from AT&T that I need to update my email settings to use a security key.  No where do I see if I need to setup every account (because I think some email addresses are "sub-accounts" of the main account.  Also, no where can I easily find any answers on what to do when we access those same email accounts via iOS Mail on our iPhones & iPads.

When I click any where on their website to contact someone to get answers, it just routes me to another useless webpage or broken link.  There are no phone numbers to call or chat links to support.  USELESS!

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

You should create individual secure mail keys for the primary account and each sub-account by separately logging into myAT&T for each account you have setup in the email client apps.  Once the keys are created you can update your email clients to use the keys associated with those accounts in the client's password setting.  Simply replace the existing password with it's respective secure mail key.

Note, the keys only apply to email client apps not the webmail.  The webmail still needs your account password to log into it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

There is a problem with that. Only the main account is recognized by
myAT&T. When I tried logging on to myAT&T with any of the other 6
sub-accounts, trying both their associated password and using the password
of the main account, they come back "unknown". When we moved from Frontier
Mail to AT&T Mail (which was being handled by Yahoo!), I was told by AT&T
Tech Support that I needed to create the email sub-accounts under the main
account from the Yahoo! Mail webpage. Which I did

Currently they all work using our iPhones/iPads using the Mail app and via
our Win10 PCs using Outlook 365. When I need to logon to one of the
sub-accounts which is not directly setup in my PCs Outlook, I simply logged
on via the website. We must use Outlook 365 for records retention to
external & offsite storage. Using the OAuth apps such as Windows Mail or a
website does allow us to do this.

Tim Rasmussen
_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

I am not sure then how you set the secure keys for sub-accounts since I don't have any sub-accounts.  When this last came up it was posted that you had to log into the individual sub-account on myAT&T to create its secure mail key so that's what I was repeating. I don't have any sub-accounts so I cannot test this out myself.

I was told by AT&T Tech Support that I needed to create the email sub-accounts under the main account from the Yahoo! Mail webpage. Which I did

Yahoo mail webpage?Man Surprised  That I find strange unless it was in the days when the att legacy accounts were still considered merged with yahoo.  That's not the case anymore (or at least att and yahoo have been trying for it to not be the case causing a lot of problems in the process - note announcement in near top right of this page about logging in). 

The "great unmerge" (as I like to refer to it) or the fact you created them through yahoo may be the source of your problem.  I suggest you call the Digital Assistance Center (877-273-2728) or tech support (800-288-2020) for help in creating the keys for the sub-accounts (I have less faith in tech support helping with this).  If you find out how to do it it would be nice if you posted a followup so it's clear how to create the keys for sub-accounts.

In the meantime the use of the secure key or OAuth is not an absolute requirement.   I cannot say that won't change in the future.  That may be the reason we are getting that email now, i.e., it's a warning or a heads up.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.