Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Protect yourself online
NEBoyle212's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, December 17th, 2015 10:05 PM

Someone hacked my email and now I can't reset my password. What should I do?

I got onto my computer at around 1 today and I tried to log on to my Steam account but it said I had issues with the password so I request a password reset email on my at&t email under that account.  Unusual but I'm not getting any warning signs in my head just yet, even though I was just on Steam yesterday.

I go to log in to my account that my Steam account is connected to (which was wierd at first as I had it set to remember my email the other day) but my password doesn't work, which was the first warning sign but I'm not too worried at this point.  

Okay so I ask for a password reset email to my alternate email.  But I get a message that says that email is not on file.  The second warning started going off and now I'm very confused and worried.  

So I go to my alternate email - which works and is under a different provider - I look over my emails and I see I got 2 att account services emails at around 4 am this morning.  I read the emails and the final red light warning goes off in my head when the emails tell me that not only was my alternate email been removed from my account, but a new one - one from a provider I've never even heard of - was set up instead.

Now this someone has gone in and changed to password to my email so that I can't - as at&t support tells me to do when your account is hacked - "log in and change your information" since the password was changed AND my alternate email was removed!  I tried calling for customer support but it was very confusing and I'm only using at&t for the free email, and for some reason the live chat button won't show up on my screen.  

Is there anyone who can help me or someone I can talk to for help in getting my account back, or if I need to reset it?  I don't want to delete it as there are important emails on that account.

Just a recap:

The password doesn't work

The alternate email was removed and replaced with someone elses

Live chat support is a no go

Don't know who to call or ask for help

Another thing: I had to create another account in order to post this question

EDIT:

One more thing: I read over AT&T's troubleshooting page and it doesn't say anywhere what to do if email is hacked and you cannot log in.  It only says stuff about being hacked and getting spam emails, which is not the issue...

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

@NEBoyle212

Contact AT&T Customer Care for further assistance.

Customer Care can be contacted by clicking the link below(expect a response over the next few days):

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

In the message body, please include the following:

- Name

- Address

- Account number

- Phone number

- Contact email address

- The best time to contact you if needed

- The problem you are having (in detail)

- The email address you're having issues with

Below is an image describing where to enter information within your message:

privatemessage.jpg

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

@Darknessrise wrote:

@NEBoyle212

Contact AT&T Customer Care for further assistance.

Customer Care can be contacted by clicking the link below(expect a response over the next few days):

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

In the message body, please include the following:

- Name

- Address

- Account number

- Phone number

- Contact email address

- The best time to contact you if needed

- The problem you are having (in detail)

- The email address you're having issues with

Below is an image describing where to enter information within your message:

privatemessage.jpg

I actually sent Customer Care a message containing basic details shortly after I posted this and someone contacted me at around 5:30 (I was out and didn't get the message until just now).  Hopefully they can resolve the issue quickly.

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

9 years ago

Please let us know if they were able to help you(when you are done talking to them) so I can mark this as resolved.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Tech support could log in and when they gave me a temp password to log in with I get sent to the page to make a new password, except after that I kept getting an error that I wasn't authorized to be on that site.  I tried it from a different computer and it happened then as well.  So Customer Care gave me a ticket request yesterday and told me to wait 24 hours before I tried logging on again.  I will try logging on again in around a half hour and see if it works then.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

So far - according to Customer Care - whoever hacked my account somehow cancled it, and now the only way I can get it back is if I have an internet service account with AT&T, which I don't.  

Meaning that - short of calling their assistance group and praying to whatever higher power is screwing me over that they can somehow fix this - my account is gone forever.  And it seems like they can't go in and reopen it for me no matter what just because I'm not paying for their services.  

That's probably not true but it sure feels like it and I'm in a bad mood because of it.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Unfortunatly, the "polocy" quoted is correct... a free account is yours to use, as long as it remains active.. and if deleted, is gone for good.

Yoiu are not entittled to "live support", but the care team made an exception for you and provided support anyways.,

This is a very grey area... if you can convince them, you did not terminate the account on purpose, they will hopefully "recover it" for you.

I know it is done, as I see posts related to it every once in a while, but I am at a loss of what folks who do so, get out of taking over total strangers e-mail accounts, and not even use them.

Normall, folks re-gain control of their accounts, and after resetting the password and security questions along with the backup e-mail account for recovery, can prevent it from being re-hacked, unless the hacker is bound and determined to shut down the account, for no reason other than they can. (and sadly, nothing you can do to stop them if they are that determined and persistant.)

It is of small comfort, but at least, there are alternate free e-mail services out there that one can use to replace the free att e-mail account lost.

Even IF you get the account back, it would probably be worth transitioning to one of them anyways, since the presant one has already been compromised, and is likly to be hacked again.

My condolences.

I have been hacked too, at least once, on every account I have had, and for some reason, from some place in russia. (My provider luckily also tracks login location, and blocks attempts that are unlikly. Otherwise, the accounts of mine WOULD be gone)

Good luck, and god bless.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Wait, Russia???  I think mine was hacked by someone in Russia, too!!!

On my alternate email - before it was removed from my hacked email - recieved two messages.  One saying that a new alternate email had been added (I looked it up and the provider is Russian) and another saying that my alternate email was being removed.  I still have the emails saved, and I live in the states and don't know anyone in Russia.  I have family and some friends in Germany but not Russia!

I know I didn't delete my account on my own and I plan on transitioning everything over to another account once I get it back, so why is it that Customer Care says they can't get it back?  What do I have to show them as proof that I didn't authorize the change?  Show them the emails I got or do I have to call the assistance group to do that?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

It's offical: my account has been deleted.  Whoever stole it, once they were done they deleted it and now I can't get it back.  I can't even have any important information on it transfered to a different account.

I called multiple people on the assistance support line and the password retreval line and while they were all very patient and helpful with me, in the end my account is gone forever.  The jerkwad who did this to me can go rot in a ditch somewhere, and hopefully the cutomer support of any wibsite I'm a member on where my deleted account was linked to can help me in tranfering my accounts to a different email or change it for me.

So, yeah, issue not solved.  I probably won't come back here again, so bye bye.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.