For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
ChasSBC's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 7:23 PM

Remove User(s) that are in the Home Network Device Lists

I let a person connect to my home WiFi network, while visiting me.
They have since left, and I want to remove their IP Address/Name.
Their IP Address/Name appears in the Device List.
How do I configure the setting so that IP Address/Name will no longer have access to my network?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@ChasSBC wrote:

How do I configure the setting so that IP Address/Name will no longer have access to my network?

By changing the password.

Unless your router is WAY different than the dozens that I've had, removing them from the list of people wouldn't do anything.

Blocking their device, yes. But if they have a new device that imported their prefs (including WiFi passwords) it's not going to make a difference.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

couldnt you just reset the modem or router?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Constructive A reboot does not clear any authenticated devices. You could reset back to factory settings but that would clear all devices. There is also an option to clear the device list but again that clears everything. Besides, on my router page, this warning is displayed “It is recommended you only do this when instructed to do so by customer care.”

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

Point taken. Reset/Reboot the router (model 5031NV) restores to original which has the password on the label on the side of the router. It appears once you give out the password your only option is too change it, if you no longer want it to be used by other than yourself. For safety sake, the change has to be made in case the other person no longer own their device.
I did not think it through. I know better. Next time, I will hand them an Ethernet cable attached to the router.
Thanks for your reply.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@ChasSBC wrote:

It appears once you give out the password your only option is too change it, if you no longer want it to be used by other than yourself. For safety sake, the change has to be made in case the other person no longer own their device.

• That's if they get rid of the device without erasing it.
  • And if they don't erase it, the person who now has it needs to know to come to your house to get free WiFi. 

Odds are slim on both.

Many wifi routers have a guest option, so you can give people the guest account and change it as often as you want. Some guest access can be set to internet only, so they can only see the outside world (not your internal network).

If AT&T's built-in WiFi doesn't have this you could get a WiFi router that does and probably would give you better WiFi speeds than their all in one.

I did not think it through. I know better. Next time, I will hand them an Ethernet cable attached to the router.

Preferably you don't put others on your main network at all, if their computer is infected, with ethernet you're just giving them high-speed access to try and infect anything it can find on your internal network.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.