Protect yourself online
hank33's profile

Tutor

• 

24 Messages

Sunday, November 25th, 2018 11:33 PM

Old email contacts

When I start to type a name, email contacts pop up which is good. However, I don't always notice that an old email address is also in the list and I discover it when I learn my email was undeliverable. Even though the correct current email address is in my contacts, Yahoo will still include an old email address it finds from old emails. This is annoying. How do I stop Yahoo from offering up the old one when a newer address for that person is in my contacts?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

If you are talking about the auto-suggest list, i.e., the drop down list you see when you type a a letter or two into the To: field, I don't think that has changed from th "old" email to the "new".  It includes anybody you may have emailed in history in addition to your explicit contacts.  I can't remember if the "old" email had a setting to not accumulate these.  At any rate there is no way to change this behavior.

But you can gradually eliminate these unwanted entries.  In the auto-suggest menu, as you mouse over a name you will see an X appear on the right end of that menu entry.  Click it and it's gone forever.  Even if you do it to a contact from your contact list that too will be gone forever, never suggested again.  To get a deleted entry back into the auto-suggest list you need to go through a number of steps (no sense giving those instructions here).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Can you give me those steps for getting contacts that you have x'd out back? Someone accidentally did itto my work email with contacts that I used everyday and I need the auto suggest back for them!! 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@TiffanyT - Theoretically the only way I think you can add an address back to the auto-suggest list is to delete the contact from your contacts list and then recreate that contact and/or specifying that address when composing an email.  I say theoretically because I don't know if this works in the "new" email since I haven't tested it myself.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

@_xyzzy_  I have tried that. Doesn't work. 😞

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@TiffanyT - then I don't know of a way of getting it back ever.   It's just more quality design from the yahoo email UI "experts"!

In the webmail if you click the settings gear then at the bottom there's a "Give feedback" button where you can suggest they address this issue.  Don't hold your breath they ever will though.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

@_xyzzy_  I have actually already done the give feedback thing earlier today...we will see if they get back to me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.