Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Protect yourself online
CatladyDane's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Tuesday, October 31st, 2017 1:08 AM

Multiple email problems att.net and bellsouth.net

I have 4 email boxes. I do have AT&T paid service, therefore cannot delete the 2 that I no longer use.

I HATE webmail, but when a mailbox does not work in Outlook 2010, I check there in case there is something that might release it.

Mailbox 1 bellsouth.net, works in both places (Outlook & AT&T webmail) This is the one I use as my primary mailbox and have set as my default.

Mailbox 2 att.net seems to process in both places. BUT when I send something to mailbox 2, it goes into mailbox 4, also an att.net.

Mailbox 3 bellsouth.net will not process in Outlook, nor is it accessible in AT&T webmail or mail.yahoo.com (an AT&T employee suggested trying that in a reply in the forums when someone else could not access his mailbox in AT&T webmail). This mailbox sometimes fails to process in Outlook and many days later resumes function for no apparent reason with no action on my part. It has not done so yet this time. Error is:

" Task '(edited out for privacy)@Bellsouth.net - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded: -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.' "

I cannot send from this mailbox either.

Mailbox 4 att.net works in Outlook but can not be accessed in AT&T webmail. I am able to access it in mail.yahoo.com.

I recently had to change my AT&T member ID password and when I did that it said that all related email boxes would use the same password. I changed passwords in Outlook accordingly, but it will not work for Mailbox 3. I have verified all settings multiple times and they are all correct and the same for all boxes. I have deleted and recreated Mailbox 3.

Mailbox 2 actually got created when I changed to U-verse - why, I don't know, but I'm afraid to delete it for fear it will adversely affect Mailbox 1, which is very important.

And...is there a way to tell AT&T webmail to NEVER put anything in the spam folder? I have disabled all spam folders in Outlook so I can review every arrival in one place. A couple of my bills have failed to arrive and I wonder if webmail stole them and called them spam. I just delete everything in the spam folder when I have to go there.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

Some general questions.

• Are you accessing the email with Outlook from only a single computer or using Outlook on multiple computers?
  • POP or IMAP?  POP would be sufficient if accessing with only one device.
  • Are all these accounts sub-accounts of your primary account?
  • Have you checked the forwarding settings for each account in the webmail (click gear->settings->accounts then click on an account and scroll down the resulting pane to see if any forwarding settings are specified).
  • Are any of these merged accounts with yahoo?

It's hard for me to exactly follow "who's on first" in your description.  Some general thoughts though would be that if you are accessing from multiple computers and they are all using Outlook configured to use IMAP perhaps there's some kind of "cross talk" going on.  One instance marks an item as read, another deletes items after reading, and so on.

And...is there a way to tell AT&T webmail to NEVER put anything in the spam folder? I have disabled all spam folders in Outlook so I can review every arrival in one place. A couple of my bills have failed to arrive and I wonder if webmail stole them and called them spam. I just delete everything in the spam folder when I have to go there.

Now that one is easier to answer.  NO!  There is no way to override the yahoo spam filters.  All you can do is periodically visit the webmail, look at the spam box, and mark valid items as "not spam" to get them to move back into the inbox and hopefully, in time, train the stupid yahoo spam filters that those items are not spam.  Once in the inbox your email client should pick them up.  I like to sarcastically say yahoo knows better than you what is and is not spam.Man Frustrated

In your post above you say "I HATE webmail,"  I'm with you on that one.  I hate having to go into the webmail once a week to see what real mail may be caught in their spam box.  I prefer to let my email client (Thunderbird in my case) do all the spam filtering.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.