Protect yourself online
lloyde12000's profile

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Nov 23, 2018 3:33 PM

I'm receicing emails labeled "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)" for emails that I did not send

Here's an example:

Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to confirm@amazonaws.com because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.

I did not send an email to this address and don't have it in my address book. It is a nuisance, and I need to know if it is a threat to my email account.

I've received twenty or thirty of these messages over the past few weeks.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 y ago

I think you are experiencing "backscatter".  Someone is using your email address to send out emails to invalid addresses which causes bounce back messages to the sender, i.e., you.  It's a form of spam.  The spammer(s) somehow got your email address and and sending out emails making them look as if you are the sender (called spoofing).  It's easy to spoof and they don't need to use your account to do it. 

It's also not clear how they got your email address in the first place.  Yes, you might have been hacked so change your password and perhaps your security questions.  Other possibility is they got your email address elsewhere.  Perhaps you posted it publicly somewhere.  Maybe some business you deal with was hacked.  Maybe you are on someone's contact list and they were hacked.  You never know where the spammers get this info.

All you can do now with this particular case is if these bounce backs are all from the same source and not being classed as spam, you could try training the spam filters by marking them as spam.  Could take a while to get the filters trained.  Alternatively you could create a filter of your own to match on something that's in every one of those emails to move them into the spam or trash.  If the bounce back messages are already being classed as spam then there is nothing you can do other then delete them from there or let the spam be auto-deleted as it is periodically.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.