Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
Protect yourself online
amygarand's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, February 6th, 2018 12:09 AM

I think my email account has been compromised by a scammer

Today I started getting tons of notices from MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com for messages I'd not sent, but which were sent by someone at another address to addresses all over the world apparently. They look like this:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

.................. 550: 5.7.1 Message rejected due to local policy. Please visit 

[Third party link removed per Guidelines]

Here's one of their messsages:

hey to u how is it going? I hope You are free to small talk I am true femal= e and at this moment I am searching for bland Man, My Email is  and then I'm going to reply to You my pho= tos Thank's

This person uses the name Aleftina, and uses my email address as their return address. How they got my address I've no idea. I'm guessing this is some third world scammer who doesn't speak English very well. I've gotten hundreds of failure notices today from MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com and added them to my spam filters, but I've no idea what I can do about this, if anything.

Nlow I cannot send email at all, and with two different mail clients I get the message:

The server response was: 5.7.1 We were unable to deliver your message. Please try resending your message by adding some text.
Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

So has someone stolen my email account? Can I get it back?  

[Inappropriate content removed]

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

550: 5.7.1 Message rejected due to local policy. P

That usually gets triggered from a server treating the email as spam.  That "3rd party link" where it has been editied out is probably the one issuing the bounce message.

Now I cannot send email at all, and with two different mail clients I get the message:

The server response was: 5.7.1 We were unable to deliver your message.  Please try resending your message by adding some text.

No 5xy code in front of this 5.7.1?  Try again to send an email to yourself with the some message contents to see if that works.

If you email address is "out there" I don't really know what you can do about it short of using a different email address (sub-account perhaps).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.