For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
hank33's profile

Tutor

• 

24 Messages

Friday, September 21st, 2018 6:11 PM

Blocked Email addresses limited to 1000

I've almost reached the 1000 limit and ATT support has not been at all helpful. One said to start deleting blocked emails but there is no info that would help us intelligently decide which haven't been trying to contact me and might be ok to remove from the blocked list now. Scam emails are a real problem and ATT needs to give us a better tool for blocking them and/or increasing the 1000 limit.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

No matter what limit they provide someone will always be unhappy if they don't want to ever go back and prune the old ones off the list.  And as you discovered even 1000 is way too much to be able to properly manage the list anyhow given the way it's presented and accessed.

Adding an infinite number of blocked addresses is never going to work and you are wasting your time doing it.  That's because most spammers know about that such a scheme in webmails like yahoo only block static, never changing, email addresses.  The webmail can block entire domains (everything after the @ in an email address) and spammers know that to.  If you look at some of those addresses you will generally see random character sequences in them so that no two email addresses from the same spammer ever look exactly the same.  So yahoo's form of blocking is never going to work on them. 

What's needed is some form of pattern matching in blocked address specifications.  Even filters provide limited pattern matching.  The least that could be done is to put that same support in blocked addresses.  While not completely general it's at least a start.

Tutor

• 

24 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Obviously simple approaches aren’t doing much to curb scam/spam behavior. I just hope someone finds more effective methods. I’d like authorities to look up the source & address of sender, knock on the door and say Put your hands behind your back - you’re coming with us.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I’d like authorities to look up the source & address of sender, knock on the door and say Put your hands behind your back - you’re coming with us.

Heh, which authorities in which country? Man Wink  Usually the sender location is hard to pin down too.

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Prior to 2020 i was getting a dozen a day. now it is running over twenty sometimes thirty. It used to be that there would be a handful of actual senders in a day with a common actual email and multiple fake "names". ones like [email scrubbed] now they are changing a few character in the before @ part of the address and filling my inbox. If AT&T would configure the mail to be able to set RULES to judge spam with, i could take every iteration of "@snikfat.com; @sunkwise.com; @ maregive.com; .AU (i don't know anyone in Australia); and 4449277__________. that sent me stuff and then automatically make it as spam or trash. All of these sources send emails claiming to be a legitimate source but once you reveal the actual email address are clearly malicious phishing attacks.

I get a few actual emails a day and a handful of legitimate add email like staple home depot etc.

This is beginning to make my email unusable on my phone.

AT&T NEEDS to address this.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.