Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Protect yourself online
think7's profile

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, June 13th, 2021 11:46 PM

bellsouth mail down

Getting this error - apparently not been working for a few weeks - my wife does not check mail regularly but this has worked for years - nothing has been changed in mail settings.

"Sending of password for user d***@bellsouth.net did not succeed. Mail server inbound.att.net responded - server error. Please try again later".

Mail client - Thunderbird 78.11.0  32 bit

Windows 10 pro

We do have ATT Fixed Wireless as our internet provider but that is a non issue as I also have a Bellsouth email account and it is working fine. The non-working account is a subaccount/vanity account under mine.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

3 years ago

Are you using a Secure Mail Key with this sub account?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

3 years ago

I created a key in the main account but haven't done anything with it. Will this key work downstream in the sub account in Thunderbird? 

No.  Each account (including the subs) has its own Secure Mail Key; it's an encrypted token that serves in place of the password.  See if you can log out of the AT&T portal and log back in to the AT&T portal using the subaccount credentials.  Then see if you can get to a Secure Mail Key feature.

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for your help - the sub account shows under my profile but there is no option to add a key or to edit at all - I can enable/disable the sub account only.  I created a key in the main account but haven't done anything with it. Will this key work downstream in the sub account in Thunderbird? 

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I was able to create a new log in and get to her webmail from the ATT signin but email shows as unverified. I was able to to create the mail key and will attempt to install it in Thunderbird shortly - thank you again for your help.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

3 years ago

Let us know how you make out in Thunderbird.

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

That fixed it - bizarre how this is only selectively required by some mail clients.

Again my sincerest thanks - they should make you President of ATT

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

3 years ago

I don't want his job, though I would not complain about the salary and benefits.

Apparently the Secure Mail Key "requirement" was announced years ago, but it seems that enforcement was "rolled out" over a period of many, many years and can apply to one subaccount while not applying to another, or the main, or vice versa.  IMHO, it's a mess.

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

ATT's disdain for customers is everywhere (including this password episode) but to me it is most visibly and insultingly on display with the keystroke noises you hear when you call in and talk to the ATT robot and he says while typing "one moment while I look that up" before transferring me to a foreign call center on a compressed VOIP line that is so garbled I can't understand a word and then the call gets dropped often forcing ad infinitum repeats. We live in a rural area so have no choice with providers.  Best wishes to you and thanks you one more time.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.