bmullan's profile
bmullan
#1 Star!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Mon, Apr 27, 2015 3:09 PM

ATT uVerse Internet DNS is just awful

I've had problems for a long time with ATT's DNS.   Its reliability comes & goes.

For instance just now ...  I can ping google.com but not ebay.com ???   That's just one example of the randomness that I get with hit/miss address resolutions. 

I'm not dumb in these matters as my Cisco CCIE # 1243.   I'm just po'd that such a major ISP has these problems with DNS.

Why can't we change our DNS preferences on our ATT uVerse gateway to something like Google's DNS ..?   IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4. for PVv4 or for IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

7 y前

@bmullan

When you say " I can ping google.com but not ebay.com" do you mean that the ping doesn't work at all, or do you get "Request timed out." If it's "request timed out" it is likely because eBay doesn't allow for their routers/other network devices to respond to ping requests. This is done to reduce network load and focus on more important traffic.

You can change your DNS servers for each device(phone, tablet, computer) specifically(if your device lets you).

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.