Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
TuanNg's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, January 9th, 2019 9:23 PM

Have internet 50, modem is connected to a Nighthawk, test not reaching the promised speed

I upgraded from internet 18 to 50 a few days ago, i connected the modem to a nighthawk since all the guys that came and work on the line said that it's better to connect to a dedicated router. 

For about a week the speed tested was within range but today the speed was different. I tried to test the speed through wifi at 5ghz and get good results, but my results with my pc which is connected via ethernet is showing around 12-14mpbs down instead of the promised 45-50.

Tried turning off and on a few times but results stays the same, please help.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Check that all cables are securely connected. Try a different Ethernet cable to the pc(the cable could be damaged or bad). If still low, connect your pc directly to the gateway and see what your Speedtest results are. Make sure no downloads or TV’s are on (if you have uverse tv). Try different servers in different cities. Also run a gateway Speedtest. Compare the results. If you get full speed without the nighthawk then there is the problem. If the results are still low without the nighthawk, call customer service and confirm you are still on the 50 mbps plan. Ask for a line check as well. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you, I tried different servers but still getting the same slow results so i tried connecting directly to the modem/router that ATT provided and that seemed to work.

Now i just wonder if anything will go wrong if i use the internet from the ATT modem/router for the ethernet and the wifi from the nighthawk. But thank you for the solution.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.